Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Fedora 15 Faster Than Ubuntu 11.04?

Default Is Fedora 15 Faster Than Ubuntu 11.04?

Phoronix: Is Fedora 15 Faster Than Ubuntu 11.04?

Ending out May, we have an interesting set of tests comparing the performance of Fedora 15 and Ubuntu 11.04. This is looking at the "out of the box" performance of both operating systems on three different systems. Not only is the actual test result looked at, but we also compared the power consumption of the two operating systems.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=16077

boot performance???

it would be interesting i think because of F15 using systemd

Well done Michael, I think that's one of the best benchmarking articles I've read on Phoronix ever

A good set of tests were picked, analysis was done on the data with possible explanations for discrepancies

For once it didn't feel like a load of graphs dumped out of PTS

More like this please

Quote Originally Posted by FireBurn View Post
    Well done Michael, I think that's one of the best benchmarking articles I've read on Phoronix ever

A good set of tests were picked, analysis was done on the data with possible explanations for discrepancies

For once it didn't feel like a load of graphs dumped out of PTS

More like this please
    Thanks... For those liking the articles more than usual in recent days, it's all a matter of May was great regarding some advertising campaigns... For those that try to dismiss ads or complain about them... So just hope more like them come in June, etc.

As far as the disk performance discrepancy goes - did you test with SELinux enabled or disabled, on Fedora?

edit: you say 'out of the box', so I assume 'enabled'; it might be interesting to try with it disabled. Also it'd be interesting to know if you kept the OS default partitioning scheme (in which case the Fedora install would likely have an LVM layer the Ubuntu one would not.)

Michael,

Is PTS still self compiling the tested software?
    If so, have you considered adding, whenever possible the built in version to the mix?

- Gilboa
    DEV-NG: Intel S2600C0, 2xE52658V2, 32GB, 4x2TB, GTX680, F20/x86_64, Dell U2711.
    DEV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 5x320GB, GTX550, F20/x86_64, Dell U2711 (^).
    SRV: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, 2xE5335, 8GB, 4x2TB, 9800GTX, F20/x86-64, Dell U2412.
    LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F20/x86_64.

Where's the conclusion? I didn't really want to read through 6 pages..

Quote Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
    As far as the disk performance discrepancy goes - did you test with SELinux enabled or disabled, on Fedora?

edit: you say 'out of the box', so I assume 'enabled'; it might be interesting to try with it disabled. Also it'd be interesting to know if you kept the OS default partitioning scheme (in which case the Fedora install would likely have an LVM layer the Ubuntu one would not.)
    Yes, defaults. Can do some SELinux benchmarks separately if there's interest.

Quote Originally Posted by DanL View Post
    Where's the conclusion? I didn't really want to read through 6 pages..
    Then that detracts from ad views otherwise...

Quote Originally Posted by gilboa View Post
    Michael,

Is PTS still self compiling the tested software?
    If so, have you considered adding, whenever possible the built in version to the mix?

- Gilboa
    I'd be interested in seeing this too

Comparing local version, compiled with local gcc and compiled with phoronix gcc too

That would be very interesting