Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems With The GNOME Shell

Phoronix: Problems With The GNOME Shell

Debates surrounding Linux desktop environments, especially the new Ubuntu Unity shell and the GNOME 3.0 Shell, tend to be very polarized. There also tends to be lots of trolling by users when such debates occur within our forums and elsewhere. But what do graphics driver developers -- and those not out simply to rant -- think of the new desktops? Well, Alex Deucher of AMD recently switched over to the GNOME Shell and he's provided a list of issues he's had with the experience thus far...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

After reading that blog post, all I could think was "try E17".

Comment

desktop PC users are a dying breed. Everyone tends to optimize for mobile platforms, yet, gnome3/unity have large issues with small screens - fixed-height windows that don't show the buttons etc. I also moved from Gnome3 to KDE because of these issues. At least, KDE is not trying to be "netbook UI".

Comment

Originally posted by dekomote View Post
        desktop PC users are a dying breed. Everyone tends to optimize for mobile platforms, yet, gnome3/unity have large issues with small screens - fixed-height windows that don't show the buttons etc. I also moved from Gnome3 to KDE because of these issues. At least, KDE is not trying to be "netbook UI".
        Not sure I'd agree with desktop users being a dying breed. I think it's more that people are using multiple devices now, and they're trying to make a "one size fits all" interface, which often will fall down in a heap.

Comment

But you are truly to use the same interface to all devices? The design principles that apply and go well for a tablet UI doesn't fit to a desktop UI neither a pda/smart phone. So, at the end, you have a product that doesn't fit any segment.

Comment

Gnome-shell is for dumbasses. We call them normal users in other circles. I am wondering why developpers would ever want to use Gnome, ever.

Now basically Gnome-shell != Classic Gnome, wich is what he's complaining about. Other problems are a product of first version releases; kind of stripped down in terms of functionality.

Want more terminals? Hello there tty's. You better be having propper mode setting in there.

All other problems should be handled by applications. Gnome-shell is after all a semantic Unix desktop: one tool per task.

Other than that Gnome-shell could be win for tablets.

Comment

Originally posted by dekomote View Post
              At least, KDE is not trying to be "netbook UI".
              What do you mean by that? They created "Plasma-Netbook" for this use case (and I'm using it right now).

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                Gnome-shell is for dumbasses. We call them normal users in other circles.
                It's definitely not for newbies. I don't know for who the gs is.

Comment

My problem is simpler than that, it just won't work.

On my Laptop, it won't work with the ATI Radeon drivers, and using the FOSS drivers, unfortunately, cuts my (already short) battery life in half - making my laptop unusable.

On my Desktop PC, Gnome-shell crashes every time I launch it, it simply can't handle my triple monitor setup.

I've currently switched to KDE, which I am actually really happy with. The latest version works well and does exactly what I want.

Comment

I put my minimize buttons back almost immediately

gnome-tweak-tool lets you choose which buttons you want your windows to have.

I don't know who could possibly have thought that removing the "minimize" button was a good idea, but s/he obviously has a completely different idea about how I should be using my PC than I do.

Having said that, I don't miss the maximize button in the slightest.

Moving the mouse cursor into the top-left corner of the screen shows you all your windows again. And it's actually easier to un-minimise the correct window again when they are all displayed like this.

Comment

Working...
                    X