No announcement yet.

Say Hello To Linux 3.0; Linus Just Tagged 3.0-rc1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also there have been 40 major releases of the 2.6 kernel, I think you forgot to count 2.6.0
    Last edited by FireBurn; 30 May 2011, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      Also there have been 40 major releases of the 2.6 kernel, I think you forgot to count 2.6.0
      |0...39| = 40

EDIT: my mistake :P
      Last edited by danjeel; 30 May 2011, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jcgeny View Post
        use quotes and explain where your brain is "out of understanding"
        this looks like this :
        "On the eve of Memorial Day in the United States and his departure to Japan for LinuxCon, Linus Torvalds just tagged Linux 3.0-rc1 in Git..."
        i feel i am reading about the " english queen mum " or may be more something unusefull like yoyobama dedicating tee shirts at joplin while all is destroyed there
        again, wot?

It is just a statement of his whereabouts and actions. What is the big deal?

may be this dude is too much keeping himself under the lights just like bill gates .
        still being the one that leads linux and the whole world of FREE software is getting more and more presumptuous for my eyes , very selfish too , as much as b.gates is .
        urgh, your english feels like it was "babel fished", but I guess what you mean that he makes statements solely to keep himself in the limelight and that he is being selfish and presumptuous. Right?

How else is he going to communicate with globally distributed developers? Also as the head of a project on would expect him to make these kinds of decisions. Note that I don't believe Bill Gates wantonly publicised himself just for fame...

by the way that looks marketing and does not show any change in the philosophy of linux .
        the 2.4 or 2.6 are very differents while 3.0 is inline with 2.6 . it s like nvidia and its cards before gtx4 , renaming old gt8xxx to gt9xxx then gt2xx . its called marketing making the buzz with a new name on old products to revive the sells .
        of course linux should need to increase them . it is not same success-story as firefox .....linus like all americans wants one too , "normal"
        It is as he said, he just got bored with the current versioning system and wanted to take the opportunity to fix it. It means nothing, and isn't meant to publicise some grand meaning or development either.

Comment

when i read : "On the eve of Memorial Day in the United States and his departure to Japan for LinuxCon, Linus Torvalds just tagged Linux 3.0-rc1 in Git..."
          i feel i am reading about the " english queen mum "
          may be this dude is too much keeping himself under the lights just like bill gates .
          by the way that looks marketing and does not show any change in the philosophy of linux .
          How this compares to this:

So what are the big changes?

NOTHING. Absolutely nothing. Sure, we have the usual two thirds driver changes, and a lot of random fixes, but the point is that 3.0 is *just* about renumbering, we are very much *not* doing a KDE-4 or a Gnome-3 here. No breakage, no special scary new features, nothing at all like that. We've been doing time-based releases for many years now, this is in no way about features. If you want an excuse for the renumbering, you really should look at the time-based one ("20 years") instead.
          It's just practical decision. 2.6.40 simply sucked.

Comment

i'd love marketing campaigns around that release:

"Linux 3.0 NEW but the same"

or

"_distro name_ powered by Linux 3.0"

i think we have to admit it sounds cool

Comment

Originally posted by _txf_ View Post
              Note that I don't believe Bill Gates wantonly publicised himself just for fame...
              Also note that Bill Gates is no longer the boss of Microsoft, it's now Steve Ballmer. He is also not the richest person in the world anymore.

Comment

@_txf_

this is from wiki :
                Memorial Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the last Monday of May. Formerly known as Decoration Day, it commemorates U.S. Service Members who died while in the military service. First enacted by formerly enslaved African-Americans to honor Union soldiers of the American Civil War ? it was extended after World War I to honor Americans who have died in all wars.

it concerns us all , but the line has something very official like he is one Very Very VIP
                "On the eve of Memorial Day in the United States and his departure to Japan for LinuxCon, Linus Torvalds just tagged Linux 3.0-rc1 in Git..."

may be i laught too much because of those VIP$ we had these days for "Cannes the Festival" , most of them are not even working in the movies business , but they walk on the red carpet like they are greater than "yoybama" or queen mum [ both i am not found ]

by the way , my humour is a bit black , it concerns also the writer of first post that i find too "kind" .

for the rest and linus , that is a long time i try some distro to test linux , may be i have the headache of hearing his names only while he does not do a so great job , at least creating 5 or more "file-system" : Btrfs, EXT2, EXT3 ,EXT4, and XFS is not something so important compared to more drivers and hardwares .

may be 3.0 should have used windows drivers as well as its file-systems and may be without any root owning for noobs that wants an easy going os instead of being a "little piece of s4it" for their own pc .
                may be 4.0 will see my idee coming to linux as well as a website where linux user would upload their windows drivers for the "reverse engineering team" to build them as linux native ...

Comment

so i don't get it - are the official kernel version numbers now going to go up like 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 or 3.0.1, 3.0.2, 3.0.3?

i wouldn't really be against such a thing since linux is kinda at it's peak in terms of features and stability. as of right now, its mostly just improving what it already does, but to me, any additional features are kind of just extra.

i'm a little disappointed that linus is treating the version number like its no big deal, but at least he has a lot of determination to make the first 3.0 release to be a good one.

i think what bothers me the most is i liked linux being in the 2.x series because it showed that after 20 years, it has been stable for a ridiculously long time. 3.0 is still compatible and stable with the rest of 2.0, so for people who didn't pay attention to version numbers this day and age are never going to know what really happened, and assume that there has been 3 major changes to the entire kernel. so in principal, moving to 3.0 was a bad idea.

Comment

Well, a part of the problem appears to have been hardware vendors who at some point in the distant past provided Linux drivers, but stopped keeping them current long ago. Now years later they still claim to "support Linux 2.6". This practice just came to an end

Happy Birthday, Linux!

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      so i don't get it - are the official kernel version numbers now going to go up like 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 or 3.0.1, 3.0.2, 3.0.3?
                      The final 3.0.0 will be just 3.0 and future releases will be 3.1, 3.x. Afaik they just have to fix some scripts.

Comment

Working...
                      X