Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does 11.5 driver version break power management for anyone else in Ubuntu 11.04?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does 11.5 driver version break power management for anyone else in Ubuntu 11.04?

Code:
    cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep "cpu MHz"
    will show that both cores run at maximum frequency at all times, then I uninstall proprietary drivers and switch back to open source ones the problem disappears and cpu frequency scaling works again

I got HD5670, and Ubuntu Natty Narwhal 11.04 64bit. Never had this issue in previous Ubuntu releases and trying to switch between various performance modes with cpu frequency scaling applet in gnome classic does nothing. What could cause cpu cores to be locked at maximum frequency?

Just checked mine, cpuinfo reports all cores at max. frequency, but the CPU isn't any hotter than normal.

Ubuntu 11.04 64
    AMD Phenom 9750 x4
    Radeon HD4850
    Catalyst 11.5

Comment

And you can't change frequencies either with any an applet available in gnome classic?

What about dmesg? See anything odd?

Comment

Frequency scaling works for me. I've the same version of yours, an HD 6550 card and an i5 procesor.

Code:
        $ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep "cpu MHz"
        cpu MHz		: 1199.000
        Do you experience any problems with fullscreen 3D apps or switching to VTs?
        How did you installed the drivers (from generated packages or using the installer)?

Comment

I followed strictly ati wiki installation guide for Natty and choosed to install by building packages. I did not test virtual consoles, but quakelive played fine. Right now I am using open source driver.

Frequency scaling works for me.
          so are you saying that you had cores set to max, but were able to set them on "ondemand"?

Comment

I haven't changed the default Ondemand profile, and frequency scaling works.

I've cores at 1.2Ghz when idle and they scale up to 2.6 if I run something expensive (tested with yes > /dev/null).

Now, as a test I've set them to Performance and back to Ondemand and all seems working.

Comment

Mark this thread as [fixed] please

I can't find a way to edit my post, so I will leave a reply here:

Decided yesterday to install 11.5 drivers from the same .run file following exactly the same procedure. And now everything works without abnormalities.
              cpu cores aren't locked anymore @ highest frequencies

Code:
              cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep cpu
              cpu family	: 16
              cpu MHz		: 800.000
              cpu cores	: 2
              cpuid level	: 5
              cpu family	: 16
              cpu MHz		: 800.000
              cpu cores	: 2
              cpuid level	: 5
              I do not know what caused it or when it got fixed, because I have been using only open source drivers after I discovered this bug.

Comment

Working...
              X