Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox acceleration & AMD Gallium3D = Most sad thing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox acceleration & AMD Gallium3D = Most sad thing...

I bought a multi hundered $ GPU and still can't surf on internet with acceleration...
    I know Nvidia GPUs could run firefox with acceleration under linux.

Fglrx can't. Also Gallium3D couldn't.

I don't play games in linux (do you?). So it's better to have 3D accelerated firefox than a 3D accelerated games...

Do you have any estimation when ati r600g + mesa drivers could accelerate Firefox nightly releases properly? It do you want to prioritize such a thing?

Originally posted by Death Knight View Post
    So it's better to have 3D accelerated firefox than a 3D accelerated games...
    An accelerated firefox is surely the most useful thing
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Hardware acceleration in Chrome/Chromium works great. What problems do you have with Firefox? I am using a Radeon HD 4850.

Comment

Looks like fglrx was blacklisted in Firefox 4 and 5 but is whitelisted in Firefox 6 due to some changes in the way FF reads driver versions (apparently the changes allow it to distinguish between older and newer fglrx versions).

There seems to be a winsys issue in the Gallium stack (any pipe driver, not just ATI), not sure if it has been fixed yet. In the meantime it appears that both fglrx and the r600c driver should be enabled automatically with FF 6.
        Last edited by bridgman; 28 May 2011, 11:44 PM.
        Test signature

Comment

I know Nvidia GPUs could run firefox with acceleration under linux.

Fglrx can't. Also Gallium3D couldn't.

Do you have any estimation when ati r600g + mesa drivers could accelerate Firefox nightly releases properly? It do you want to prioritize such a thing?
          Fglrx is supported, at least in the FF6 nightlies. The bug with gallium drivers is https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=37253. There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest from the Mesa devs in fixing it, unfortunately.

Comment

I don't think so.
            Using catalyst 11.5
            If I use layers.acceleration-force-enabled = true than I have openGL accelerated windows but with corruptions.
            ATI fglrx has corruptions at least with NI, (HD6850), attached the image.

Also, it shows 10 FPS at http://demos.hacks.mozilla.org/openweb/HWACCEL/
            In windows it past the 60...

Comment

You shouldn't have to force anything on. Are you sure you're using FF6 ?
              Test signature

Comment

Nope, using FF7a1...

I see that at "about:support" page
                Code:
                Graphics:
                Adapter Description : ATI Technologies Inc. -- AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series Driver Version4.1.10750 
                Compatibility Profile Context
                WebGL Renderer : ATI Technologies Inc. -- AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series  -- 4.1.10750 Compatibility Profile Context
                GPU Accelerated Windows : 0/1
                But I If use force-enable
                Code:
                GPU Accelerated Windows : 1/1 OpenGL
                Do you sure if force-enable not required?

Comment

I've found even when force enabled it sucks with all the oss drivers, even intel. Its also pretty bugged with fglrx.

Comment

Do you sure if force-enable not required?
                    I'm not sure at all about FF 7. What you are doing there looks right, and the status output confirms that you do not get "GPU accelerated windows" without forcing.

The only docco I could find was for FF 6, and that docco suggested that acceleration was enabled with fglrx with FF 6.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X