ATI r500 Console Framebuffer Support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI r500 Console Framebuffer Support?

Greetings Folks! We have been hearing a lot lately about all the work on the radeonHD driver, but has any work been done on a kernel driver for better console output? From my experience, the console support has been atrocious. My X1950 card frequently produces garbled output and flickering before X kicks in and I can't get a resolution above 1280x1024. I would really like to see reliable support widescreen resolutions ideally 1920x1200. Is there any progress being made in this area and can we expect any working solutions in the near future?

i have no problems on x1300 with vesafb. although the fonts are jagged (or blocky, whatever the right word is) when i use anything less than 1280x1024

vesafb-tng and svgalib doesn't work though :/ maybe when modesetting gets fully explored we'll see something decent in a form of a working kernel fb driver.

Comment

I for one would like to see better performance and capabilities for console graphics. I'd like to see some hardware accelerated drawing supported in the console. It's a shame the promotion of VBE/AF was so badly mishandled.

But if you want better framebuffer graphics, you might try uvesafb.

Comment

uvesafb is a rework of vesafb-tng, made by the same person. i suspect it still does not support r500, as vesafb-tng didn't

Comment

I have a Radeon X1900GT, and uvesafb works for me.

Comment

sweet. i have to try with my x1300 then. that's one of the things making me stick with x300 card. the other one is xv :/

Comment

Unfortunately, the uvesafb isn't much better for me. I have tried using it over the past few days, and I already got a boot screen once which had 2/3 of the screen covered with garbled characters and the remaining part filled with red color. Also, I am still stuck on a max res of 1280x1024. Sigh

Comment

Originally posted by pawstar View Post
                Greetings Folks! We have been hearing a lot lately about all the work on the radeonHD driver, but has any work been done on a kernel driver for better console output? From my experience, the console support has been atrocious. My X1950 card frequently produces garbled output and flickering before X kicks in and I can't get a resolution above 1280x1024. I would really like to see reliable support widescreen resolutions ideally 1920x1200. Is there any progress being made in this area and can we expect any working solutions in the near future?
                framebuffer driver are considered dead (at least to me) i hope to start soon kernel modesetting for avivo which can then be used with fb emulator.

Comment

Working...
                X