Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is AMD Open-Sourcing Something Next Week?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    Its so easy for your team or AMD overall to not release that stuff on Tuesday.
    I don't know how to respond to this. Are you suggesting a conspiracy, or just that "we work on stuff until it is ready to release then we release it, which might be on a Tuesday or on any other day" ? If the latter, I agree.
    Test signature

Comment

[QUOTE=elanthis;211158]98% of the interesting information on Phoronix can be acquired by browsing a few different Linux- and Mesa-related mailing list archives and checking cgit.freedesktop.org for interesting commits. Phoronix just distills it all for you, and gives you a forum where interesting people post interesting things (amidst the throngs of uninteresting people posting inane thingsad to say, but the hardware companies aren't interested in honest reviews so much as they are whoever will tell the biggest lie.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
        Random speculation belongs in the forum, not on the front page, why should I pay if the quality just keeps getting worse? If I pay does he magically stop posting garbage on the front page that looks bad to everyone?

He can't even make an attempt at due diligence and PM Q, Bridgman and the gang for something more solid?

Sorry, but this is why I wish we had another option out there that isn't Phoronix. Unless you happen to know of any other site that does hardware reviews for Linux in english as I'd love to check them out.
        Why not to talk about something if you have a holidays? Unlike you, in Russia we have'nt such holiday, anyway be happy and tolerant to others, please. I just don't want to read all that negative shit or load any crappy images that looks like a kid's art in the public toilet.
        BTW i admit, that this site could gain more power if it will become more "official": without titles like "*** sucks" and with more consistent and frequent hw reviews and tests. But it is hard to reach tests consistency, so that is what community should do itself. Openbenchmarking is a great project, just lacks of usability, i think.

Comment

Originally posted by wstorm View Post
          I just don't want to read all that negative shit or load any crappy images that looks like a kid's art in the public toilet.
          BTW i admit, that this site could gain more power if it will become more "official": without titles like "*** sucks" and with more consistent and frequent hw reviews and tests. But it is hard to reach tests consistency, so that is what community should do itself. Openbenchmarking is a great project, just lacks of usability, i think.
          Nazdorovje! I totally agree.

Qaridarium does brings gossips on topic and this is nice. What is not nice is someone starting to discuss how he finds this unacceptable, and then another about how unacceptable the previous was, and another about acceptableness of the previous three... if you find it uninteresting, don't read it. The whole thread of trolls...

Comment

Dear sirs,

I object strongly to personal/impersonal commentary on phoronix! And I object to the next comment which is clearly an example of such

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
              98% of the interesting information on Phoronix can be acquired by browsing a few different Linux- and Mesa-related mailing list archives and checking cgit.freedesktop.org for interesting commits. Phoronix just distills it all for you, and gives you a forum where interesting people post interesting things (amidst the throngs of uninteresting people posting inane things).
              Sure, but Phoronix filters out the not important notes and is a nice place to hang out. Even so, it might be a good investment to expand into more serious business and manpower once Linux gains more marketshare. Think about tablet reviews and a more modern look. Then again, hordes of Windows/Mac users joes will start to flood this nice corner of the web...

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                and a more modern look.
                Nonono, design of this site is perfect, i will hate it with another style = )
                Compare it with dirt of tomshardware.com for example, which is full of unreadable mess. Clean design is a way to success.

Comment

Originally posted by wstorm View Post
                  Nonono, design of this site is perfect, i will hate it with another style = )
                  Compare it with dirt of tomshardware.com for example, which is full of unreadable mess. Clean design is a way to success.
                  Don't get me wrong. I love it. I love the simplicity of it. But... a little CSS just to round the edges and do a little color correction and a little smoothing out won't hurt anyone.

Now you might ask yourself why I would want that change if I love it... The answer is that I want more readers -> more income for Phoronix/Michael -> higher quality content.

I love higher quality content.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                    more readers -> more income for Phoronix/Michael -> higher quality content.

I love higher quality content.
                    You are wrong, unfortunately the right equation has always been:
                    more readers -> more lamers -> less effort and more income thanks to lamers -> less power users because of lower quality content -> even more lamers -> even lower quality content -> etc..

## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                      You are wrong, unfortunately the right equation has always been:
                      more readers -> more lamers -> less effort and more income thanks to lamers -> less power users because of lower quality content -> even more lamers -> even lower quality content -> etc..
                      The comtent is up to Michael...

Comment

Working...
                      X