Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MeeGo Tablet UX 1.3 May Use Wayland This Year

Phoronix: MeeGo Tablet UX 1.3 May Use Wayland This Year

Last weekend I mentioned that Wayland for MeeGo Tablet UX would be discussed and showed off at the 2011 MeeGo Conference that took place this week in San Francisco. Two sessions on the topic of Wayland took place, including one by Kristian H?gsberg, Wayland's creator. In this article are the slides that Kristian presented along with a few notes. This also shows off the plans to adopt Wayland in as soon as MeeGo 1.3, which will be released this October.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The last slides worry me, "policy for non-meego apps - not allowed?". If there's a Meego tablet out that does not run normal (X) apps, even if it's only for one version (~six months), it would lose a lot of the userbase.

Comment

Does that mean we'll have Wournal by then? Or a compatibility option for Xournal/Jarnal?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        The last slides worry me, "policy for non-meego apps - not allowed?". If there's a Meego tablet out that does not run normal (X) apps, even if it's only for one version (~six months), it would lose a lot of the userbase.
        They said the same about tablet PCs that don't run Windows and now look at the tablet market and how many devices with Windows are shipped vs. iPads.

Comment

A Meego tablet would inherently target many of the linux users.
          Android tablets OTOH already have much software, software that runs on wayland doesn't really exist.

Comment

Android tablets OTOH already have much software, software that runs on wayland doesn't really exist.
            Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't any QT application that is compiled using the right toolchain be supported in this new MeeGo version? QT should take care of the rendering and graphics platform abstraction for the application, right?

I'm wondering if the non-MeeGo applications policy is more related to a form of DRM (e.g. no unsigned applications). It seems to be all the rage for some mobile developers these days.

Comment

Nah. Wayland offers X11 as a compatibility extension. Removing that option for a while isn't a big deal, if it encourages devs to make or port native Wayland applications and makes system easier to debug by removing chunk of non-essential code. Keep in mind that Wayland is the biggest new thing since ALSA or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't any QT application that is compiled using the right toolchain be supported in this new MeeGo version? QT should take care of the rendering and graphics platform abstraction for the application, right?

I'm wondering if the non-MeeGo applications policy is more related to a form of DRM (e.g. no unsigned applications). It seems to be all the rage for some mobile developers these days.
                AFAIK it's still unstable/incomplete (is it even in the main qt yet?), and there hasn't been a single news item anywhere showing a complex Qt app working 100% on wayland.
                Only if the app only uses qt graphics and qt apis etc, otherwise there would be porting.

DRM would be even worse... However what I've been reading, they won't even include as much DRM as initially intended, and even that was disable-able.

Nah. Wayland offers X11 as a compatibility extension. Removing that option for a while isn't a big deal, if it encourages devs to make or port native Wayland applications and makes system easier to debug by removing chunk of non-essential code. Keep in mind that Wayland is the biggest new thing since ALSA or so.
                The wording suggests that they wouldn't include that possibility. All it means is more fragmentation, or, meego tablet fail.

Comment

Hello World!

Comment

I hope I am misreading this but it sounds like this is being designed TOWARDS Qt. Using the QML Scene Graph?
                    That's going to be a non-starter if this is being developed first and foremost with Qt in mind.

Comment

Working...
                    X