Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Radeon Gardenshed DRM + Gallium3D Benchmarks

Default OT - 4770 performance?

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Similar studies have been done before and the conclusion is always the same. Having a higher percentage of the developers dress in black leads to better drivers.

snip!

- the shader compiler for r600+ started off as more of a 1:1 IR-to-hardware translator than a real compiler, although recent work may have improved that a lot (haven't had time to look)
    About two years ago I bought a Sapphire 4770, it looked really good on paper (still does) but the stock Fedora sw doesn't impress me particularly, are you able to say what is the state of open drivers for this card?

Dave

ps will dress in black if it helps...

and the amazing stuff is that my integrated 4250hd card hit 30 fps in ultra on nexuiz at 1440x900x32 lol and my 4850 is always closing the 90 ish fps at 1680x1050x32

i think there is something nerfing the fps on the phoromatic test cuz the difference is too big

my 4250 run standard xorg edgers packages with color tiling and swap buffer off

my 4850 run hand compiled stack with custom cflags including -Ofast (yeap i have gcc 4.6 o_O)

in both machines i have 2.6.39 kernel hand compiled for preemtive desktop and 1000hz + some goddies that the ubuntu kernel disable by default

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXY View Post
    (color tiling, page flipping, swapbufferwait off etc.).
    Is there anywhere documentation about how to enable/disable those things??

It is so hard to find useful documentation on all the radeon settings/configuration/features.

Something is off.. Quick comparison with my 5750, AMD X2-545, natty with gnome classic (unity disabled), using 2.6.39, with git of mesa/ati/libdrm..

http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...GR-1105271GR49

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by erpe View Post
    Is there anywhere documentation about how to enable/disable those things??

It is so hard to find useful documentation on all the radeon settings/configuration/features.
    man radeon

Quote Originally Posted by whizse View Post
    man radeon
    Thanks, too easy.

Perhaps someone could benchmark numerous configurations with different non-standard options (Unity on/off, vsync on/off, etc.) to determine how much each helps/hurts and what the real best-case framerate is?

Quote Originally Posted by RobertCNelson View Post
    Something is off.. Quick comparison with my 5750, AMD X2-545, natty with gnome classic (unity disabled), using 2.6.39, with git of mesa/ati/libdrm..
    Emphasis mine.

Thanks for posting that -- I just got a 5770 but can't test it yet, and those benchmarks had me a bit worried.
    Your framerates seem to be increasing with the resolution -- is that usual, or a sign of an error? Your screen resolution is listed as 1280x1024 -- if that's the monitor's limit, would it cause inaccurate results from the higher-resolution tests?

If the results are all right, though -- 58% of Catalyst* at 2560x1600 in OpenArena!

*on the Phoronix system. I'm assuming Catalyst is doing some AA and anisotropy too.

Quote Originally Posted by utrrrongeeb View Post
    If the results are all right, though -- 58% of Catalyst* at 2560x1600 in OpenArena!

*on the Phoronix system. I'm assuming Catalyst is doing some AA and anisotropy too.
    No. OA doesn't even have an option for AA IIRC, and AF is not the default.

This comparison seems about right to me. I have this laptop that has both Intel Core i5-450M CPU/GPU and Radeon HD 5650 GPU. I have been using the latest git kernel/libdrm/mesa/ddx code ever since Evergreen support was initially released.

So here is my sad comparison:

With Intel GPU when Radeon has been soft switched off I get:
    + Usable desktop and video performance
    + Acceptable 3d performance (for a low end card)
    + Usually stable (but not always)
    + Computer is cool, fans hardly spin
    - HDMI output is not supported (due to laptop HW limitation?)
    - Some minor glitches

Instead with r600g when Intel has been switched off I get:
    + Usable desktop and video performance
    + HDMI works
    - Always horrible 3d performance, worse than Intel (I test glxgears in fullscreen 1920x1200 and use Blender, usually not games)
    - 3d is often too unstable for work (Kernel or Xorg crashes while using Blender), but I have seen nearly stable setups too. Mesa 7.10.x could be more stable.
    - Computer runs hot and fans usually spin loudly (This probably happens on Win7 too. I sometimes try tweaking power_method and power_profile but they don't make enough difference)

Obviously most of the time I end up using Intel. But often after git pull I test r600g. Unfortunately I haven't seen it beat Intel yet.

Perhaps someone could benchmark numerous configurations with different non-standard options (Unity on/off, vsync on/off, etc.) to determine how much each helps/hurts and what the real best-case framerate is?
    Well compiz is atleast on, i just can't deal with the unity desktop..

Your framerates seem to be increasing with the resolution -- is that usual, or a sign of an error? Your screen resolution is listed as 1280x1024 -- if that's the monitor's limit, would it cause inaccurate results from the higher-resolution tests?

[/i]
    Usually when testing, 1280x1024 always seems to be greater fps then 800x600 in openarena, but something changed in mesa this last week..

I can't test the 2560x1600, but i tried an older crt monitor, same results:
    http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...GR-1105271GR14
    (gateway/samsung vx900 1600x1200 max..)