Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake4 fglrx 8.41.7 HD2600XT Segfault

Hi Linux gamer.

After some problems with removing the binary nvidia drivers from my Suse10.2 64Bit Linux I finally got the new fglrx driver up and running.
    Now I wanted to benchmark my new XpertVision HD2600XT against my old 7600GT graphics card with Quake4 v1.4.2.
    To start the timedemo you first have to enter the q4mp (multiplayer mod). At this point quake4 completely reloads itself and here my problem appears. I get the following message (segmentation fault) but in the same place the normal quake4 client starts without a problem.

Anybody else experienced this?
    Is there a solution?

Greetings
    mibo

From the output when starting the q4mp mod:
    -------- Initializing Sound System ----------
    sound system initialized.
    ---------------------------------------------
    --------------- R_InitOpenGL ----------------
    Initializing SDL subsystem
    Loading GL driver 'libGL.so.1' through SDL
    SDL_ListModes:
    1280x1024 1280x720 1152x864 1024x768 800x600 640x480 640x400 512x384 400x300 320x240 320x200
    signal caught: Segmentation fault
    si_code 1
    Trying to exit gracefully..
    --------------- BSE Shutdown ----------------
    idRenderSystem::Shutdown()
    shutdown terminal support

From the output of quake4 starting:
    -------- Initializing Sound System ----------
    sound system initialized.
    --------------- R_InitOpenGL ----------------
    Initializing SDL subsystem
    Loading GL driver 'libGL.so.1' through SDL
    SDL_ListModes:
    1280x1024 1280x720 1152x864 1024x768 800x600 640x480 640x400 512x384 400x300 320x240 320x200
    8/8/8/8 RGBA bits, 24 depth bits, 8 stencil bits
    no multisampling
    dlopen(libasound.so.2)
    asoundlib version: 1.0.13
    Alsa is available
    ------ Alsa Sound Initialization -----
    opened Alsa PCM device default for playback
    device buffer size: 5644 frames ( 67728 bytes )
    allocated a mix buffer of 49152 bytes
    --------------------------------------
    ...using GL_ARB_multitexture

fglrx 8.41.7 segfaults with many applications. I had Quake 4 running once but then I had ultra low graphics, no matter what I've done.

Sorry, but I think it is better to wait for fglrx 8.42. I am sure it will fix a lot of those bugs.

Comment

This sounds like one of the x86_64 bugs with 8.41.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

No, I think thats a Problem with Quake because I'm running a 32 Bit system with the same problem.
        And you can start the game with "./quake4 +set fs_game q4mp".
        But as d2kx already said, the game will only run with ultra low settings.

Comment

Hmm... Okay. Because during the 8.41 development cycle there were some issues that were being fixed as it pertained to the 64-bit driver.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thank you for your replies.
            So I have to wait for a new driver and will switch back to my nvidia 7600GT.
            The 2600XT even stops me from playing ET:Quake Wars in Windows XP (Cat7.9 + hotfix) because of graphic errors.
            Buying the 2600 was a big mistake.

Comment

I also own a XpertVision HD2600XT card. How long do you have to play ET:QW until graphic errors occur? I played it about 30 minutes with high quality settings and without problems.
              But I can't play Quake 4 on windows. After a few seconds graphic errors occur and it gets worser until you can't recognize anything.
              Does Quake 4 work on Windows for you?
              And if I just start 3DMark06, my PC responds with a VPU-Recover and sometimes even with a bluescreen.
              Last edited by thoemy; 29 September 2007, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thoemy View Post
                I also own a XpertVision HD2600XT card. How long do you have to play ET:QW until graphic errors occur? I played it about 30 minutes with high quality settings and without problems.
                But I can't play Quake 4 on windows. After a few seconds graphic errors occur and it gets worser until you can't recognize anything.
                Does Quake 4 work on Windows for you?
                And if I just start 3DMark06, my PC responds with a VPU-Recover and sometimes even with a bluescreen.
                Do you know the 3DMark05/06 options for the ATI2x00 cards (-nosysteminfo )?
                I played QW:ET (WinXP) quiet a while before the problems appeared. But atm I'm not sure that these probs come from the cat7.9+hotfix driver. I cleaned my WinXP from old nvidia/ati driver installations - maybe it was just messed up...
                I have no Q4 installed on WinXP.

Comment

I've played a lot ET: QW Retail v1.1 today with my AMD X1900 XT 512 using the Catalyst 7.9 Hotfix (Pre 7.10). It is a lot of fun when you're on a server with players that know how to play

Comment

Originally posted by mibo View Post
                    Do you know the 3DMark05/06 options for the ATI2x00 cards (-nosysteminfo )?
                    Yes, -nosysteminfo should do the trick.

Originally posted by d2kx
                    I've played a lot ET: QW Retail v1.1 today with my AMD X1900 XT 512 using the Catalyst 7.9 Hotfix (Pre 7.10). It is a lot of fun when you're on a server with players that know how to play
                    I played the predecessor and I really liked it. I have to play ET: QW a little bit more to understand how everything works. But the motivation is not really high because I don't own the full version. Playing the demo map gets boring.

Comment

Working...
                    X