ATI X1650pro VideoRam Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI X1650pro VideoRam Problem?

Hello everyone ! I have a x1650pro ATI card, and if i dont set VideoRam to 393216 in xorg.conf, i get a blank screen when i startx (whatever WM i use). I have had this problem for some months, with different linux kernels/fglrx/Xorg versions. My question : Is it a knowm problem with the proprietary drivers ? Cause the onboard memory is supposed to have 512MB and the board is AGP (and not PCIE)... Or is my x1650 possibly defect ? Thanks in advance for your inputs. (appart from that, hardware acceleration works fine).

Code:
    (II) Module fglrxdrm: vendor="FireGL - ATI Technologies Inc."
    	compiled for 7.1.0, module version = 8.40.4
    	ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.3
    (II) fglrx(0): Video RAM override, using 393216 kB instead of 524288 kB
    (**) fglrx(0): VideoRAM: 262144 kByte, Type: DDR2
    (II) fglrx(0): PCIE card detected

Have you checked your BIOS setup? Maybe there's any options on this?

Is it a genuine ATI card or is it some cheaper model? Some models come with not-so-great memory chips I'm afraid.

Comment

Hello Peol, thanks for your input.
      Originally posted by Peol
      Have you checked your BIOS setup? Maybe there's any options on this?
      As far as i can see, the only options related to the GC are ? AGP aperture ? size (set to 256 but other values dont fix the problem) and "primary video controler" set to AGP.
      Originally posted by Peol
      Is it a genuine ATI card or is it some cheaper model? Some models come with not-so-great memory chips I'm afraid.
      It is a HS X1650pro IceQ 512MB. Is there any tool which could help diagnose if this is a memory chip problem ?

Comment

You need to set
        AGP Aperture=512Mb
        remove the videomem size in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
        if you use a framebuffer on your console you may need to pass
        videomem=512mb as a kernel boot parameter.
        the AGP version of teh 1650pro works with older ATI drivers, but although it does indeed come up iwth DRI and acceleration with 8.41 -- It DOES NOT enable AGP modes
        see bug 780 on unofficial ati linux bugs pages.

Comment

Ohh -- post the content of /proc/mtrr
          There are some ram combinations that dont map well

Comment

(sorry to moderators for having sent a billion times the same post... now i read the message displayed a couple of secs after "submit" ;-)

EDIT : oh... now this message goes through directly and i still can't see my answer to Alistair ?!

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair View Post
              Ohh -- post the content of /proc/mtrr
              There are some ram combinations that dont map well
              Hello Alistair, and thanks for your input. If you're talking about the AGP aperture size i can set up in the bios of the motherboard, the highest value i can set is 256 (Dell dimension 8300). I've made the changes you suggested in grub.conf and kernel (removed fb support) :
              Code:
              # cat /boot/grub/grub.conf | grep -A 1 Trims
              title Gentoo Trims
              kernel (hd0,5)/boot/vmlinuz real_root=/dev/sda6 videomem=512mb

# grep CONFIG_FB /usr/src/linux/.config
              # CONFIG_FB is not set
              Also :
              Code:
              # cat /proc/mtrr
              reg00: base=0x00000000 (   0MB), size=1024MB: write-back, count=1
              reg01: base=0xe0000000 (3584MB), size= 256MB: write-combining, count=1
              And i commented the "VideoRam" in my xorg.conf. X is still crashing (blank screen and PC almost frozen. Only option is to reboot with magik keys).

Attaching Xorg logs. The first one when i get a blank screen with no "VideoRam" entry in xorg.conf. The second one when i add "VideoRam 393216" in xorg.conf and X doesnt crash. I think 8.40.4 drivers are not supposed to work for my Xorg version, but the problem was exactly the same with older versions.
              log -- X crash
              log 2 -- X does not crash

Comment

Originally posted by tinux View Post
                (sorry to moderators for having sent a billion times the same post... now i read the message displayed a couple of secs after "submit" ;-)

EDIT : oh... now this message goes through directly and i still can't see my answer to Alistair ?!
                Your posts should appear now that they have cleared the moderation queue.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by tinux View Post
                  Hello Alistair, and thanks for your input. If you're talking about the AGP aperture size i can set up in the bios of the motherboard, the highest value i can set is 256 (Dell dimension 8300). I've made the changes you suggested in grub.conf and kernel (removed fb support) :
                  Code:
                  # cat /boot/grub/grub.conf | grep -A 1 Trims
                  title Gentoo Trims
                  kernel (hd0,5)/boot/vmlinuz real_root=/dev/sda6 videomem=512mb

# grep CONFIG_FB /usr/src/linux/.config
                  # CONFIG_FB is not set
                  Also :
                  Code:
                  # cat /proc/mtrr
                  reg00: base=0x00000000 (   0MB), size=1024MB: write-back, count=1
                  reg01: base=0xe0000000 (3584MB), size= 256MB: write-combining, count=1
                  And i commented the "VideoRam" in my xorg.conf. X is still crashing (blank screen and PC almost frozen. Only option is to reboot with magik keys).

Attaching Xorg logs. The first one when i get a blank screen with no "VideoRam" entry in xorg.conf. The second one when i add "VideoRam 393216" in xorg.conf and X doesnt crash. I think 8.40.4 drivers are not supposed to work for my Xorg version, but the problem was exactly the same with older versions.
                  log -- X crash
                  log 2 -- X does not crash
                  in your kernel boot option match the videomem= to the size of your agp gart (in your case 256mb) and set (under the fglrx device section of xorg.conf)
                  MaxGARTSize=256

Neither of your logs survived my oncall week from hell

Your mtrr list shows that you've pageallocated the mtrr for the gart to the card **above** the 3gb boundary -- how much ram in this lappy? If its less than 2Gb you might want to recompile with a different memory split option.

I had a heck of a time with my X1650Pro agp - the gart size and the mtrr, and xorg have to line up on memory allocation, or either X locks up or DRI doesnt fire ...

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair View Post
                    in your kernel boot option match the videomem= to the size of your agp gart (in your case 256mb) and set (under the fglrx device section of xorg.conf)
                    MaxGARTSize=256

Neither of your logs survived my oncall week from hell

Your mtrr list shows that you've pageallocated the mtrr for the gart to the card **above** the 3gb boundary -- how much ram in this lappy? If its less than 2Gb you might want to recompile with a different memory split option.

I had a heck of a time with my X1650Pro agp - the gart size and the mtrr, and xorg have to line up on memory allocation, or either X locks up or DRI doesnt fire ...
                    Thanks again for your help Alistair, i realy appreciate

I have 1GB RAM on my system. So, i have tried everything you suggested ! For the "memory split" kernel option, i had first to modify the /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/Kconfig file : Removed "if EMBEDDED" from the line
                    Code:
                    prompt "Memory split" if EMBEDDED
                    (That is for Gentoo-kernel-2.6.22-r8)

I was then abble to try : VMSPLIT_3G; VMSPLIT_3G_OPT; VMSPLIT_3G/1G and VMSPLIT_1G/3G, but none of them fixed the problem... Still have to try with VMSPLIT_{2G,2G_OPT,2G/2G} though (i'll post the results when it's done). I also added 'Option "MaxGARTSize" "256"' in the fglrx device section of xorg.log and changed the kermel boot parameter to videomem=256M.

For the log files, i forgot the time limit was 24hours on the server i chose. So... here are the files on a server with 30 days retention, just in case...
                    X crashes (no VideoRam entry in xorg.conf)
                    X does not crash (VideoRam 393216 in xorg.conf)
                    Last edited by tinux; 01 October 2007, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X