Ubuntu + fglrx + X1950 Pro = Freeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu + fglrx + X1950 Pro = Freeze

Hey, I've been searching around for a few days now for this particular problem;

If I run a OpenGL application (fullscreen or windowed doesn't matter), the application becomes unresponsive after a while and the computer seems to freeze (however, I do see response but can't CTRL+ALT+F* my way out or anything).

I'm using the Xorg fglrx drivers, because I got an XGL session running (when I'm not running OpenGL apps) to run Compiz Fusion and my main desktop.

Is there anyone that has this problem, or did have it in the past? It seems that the fglrx drivers put a great load on the graphics card and therefor it hangs itself after awhile? I never had (or has) any similar problem running Vista and the same OpenGL application.

Some specs:
    Code:
    <user>@crafty:~$ fglrxinfo
    display: :0.0  screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: Radeon X1950 Series
    OpenGL version string: 2.0.6473 (8.37.6)

<user>@crafty:~$ uname -a
    Linux crafty 2.6.22-12-generic #1 SMP Sun Sep 23 18:11:30 GMT 2007 i686 GNU/Linux
    Thanks in advance.

Okay, got the new drivers in;

Code:
    <user>@crafty:~/flower$ fglrxinfo 
    OpenGL version string: 2.0.6849 Release
    I tried running the flower OpenGL test, which resulted around 44 fps stable. However, the problem seems to be that whenever a OpenGL application is started, the CPU (E6600 Core2Duo, running at 2.4GHz) goes up to 100% and alternates between core 0 and 1. I've tried google it but couldn't find any good and/or useful answers. Anyone familiar with this?

Comment

Originally posted by peol View Post
      Okay, got the new drivers in;

Code:
      <user>@crafty:~/flower$ fglrxinfo 
      OpenGL version string: 2.0.6849 Release
      I tried running the flower OpenGL test, which resulted around 44 fps stable. However, the problem seems to be that whenever a OpenGL application is started, the CPU (E6600 Core2Duo, running at 2.4GHz) goes up to 100% and alternates between core 0 and 1. I've tried google it but couldn't find any good and/or useful answers. Anyone familiar with this?

i am getting this exact error as well, i have yet to try that flower test, but i want to make sure that that isn't the issue. for me the problem programs (so far) are frets on fire and open arena. i thought that this was an issue with compiz, but even after i do a metacity --replace and then run it, it still buggers out after a few seconds. i have heard that there is another driver that should work for these cards (one that is open sourced) but i am too afraid to break everything to actually change everything around. btw, and i doubt this has anything to do with it, but the only difference between my setup and yours (x1950 pro on fglrx running compiz) is that i am using dual monitors, but if i change the resolution to only one monitor, it still crashes x.

Comment

There is something seriously wrong with ubuntu 7.10. Maybe it's the X server setup, but either way it's flawed, seems to be the case with some ati video at least. I was trying it out today and got nowhere. The logoff menu in gnome would stall sometimes and work others, appearently related to some suspend tweaks. Brightness was messed up by default with no way to fix it. The fglrx driver would fix the brightness but cause other errors and direct render did not work. Panel would randomly lock up in either case. And I tried for quite a while to find if settings was the problem but I got nowhere.

Comment

Maybe it's the X server setup, but either way it's flawed, seems to be the case with some ati video at least.
          Nah, I just got it confirmed on a nvidia-box (the 100% OpenGL), I wonder why that is.. Both computers got direct rendering so it shouldn't be indirect/software rendered and eating up CPU because of that. However, I know that these "performance tests" are trying to squeeze out the most of the hardware, but it shouldn't max a core2duo 2.4GHz when trying to rend graphics. :P

Comment

I know I'm late, but I finally found a solution that works very well for me.

I had the same problem, the system freezed every time I tried to run something that needed openGL.
            After some tries I installed the 7.12 (8.443.1) catalyst driver instead of the latest (which is currently the 8-01), using Kano script. Then everytime that I need to run openGL I have to simply run "glxinfo" twice (the first time I have to kill it with CTRL-C) and then I can run everything, from Google Earth to Nexuiz

I know that this solution sounds crazy, but it works like a charm for me and it could be helpful for someone else =)

Comment

which xorg-server version are people running? I have the same problems, same fix to get things working, but only had it since I installed xorg-server 1.4 (I use gentoo).

Comment

The same as yours, 1.4 (.0.90), on Debian sid

Comment

The problem seems to be solved for me, with the new release of the ati driver (8-02)

Comment

Working...
                  X