This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, back to the original topic...

Is there a release date for 8.42 driver or the only thing I can do is to cross my fingers and wait?

Trek1701

Comment

• Originally posted by Trek1701 View Post
      So, back to the original topic...

Is there a release date for 8.42 driver or the only thing I can do is to cross my fingers and wait?

Trek1701
      Yes, basically. Just keep checking back on Phoronix and you'll know when it's out
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• Thanks Michael!

Comment

• Thanx Michael but we all already know there's a release date (sorry)...the debate is all about WHEN. Am I wrong?

Comment

• I guess I will be trying Compiz with AIGLX and all that once this driver comes out. But I'd like to ask you, will I have to turn Compiz off before running a 3d app like a game? I mean, will it be completely usable? I've only used Xgl so far, and I think everyone agrees that it isn't really usable. The reason I ask this is that I've seen the advice of some forums to "turn off compiz" if your apps perform badly or glitch (not ati-specific).

Comment

• Originally posted by container View Post
              I guess I will be trying Compiz with AIGLX and all that once this driver comes out. But I'd like to ask you, will I have to turn Compiz off before running a 3d app like a game? I mean, will it be completely usable? I've only used Xgl so far, and I think everyone agrees that it isn't really usable. The reason I ask this is that I've seen the advice of some forums to "turn off compiz" if your apps perform badly or glitch (not ati-specific).
              As far as I know if AIGLX is enabled you will not have to disable anything...AIGLX is just an extension needed to run Compiz (and composite-based apps). Correct me if I'm wrong.
              Last edited by piccolotux; 20 October 2007, 02:23 PM.

Comment

• Useful features...

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                What item(s) are you looking forward most to in this release?
                1. Video decoding acceleration (AVIVO support)
                2. Video decoding acceleration (AVIVO support)
                3. Video decoding acceleration (AVIVO support)
                4. Reliable power management
                5. AIGLX (eyecandy is NOT SO important, men...)

Comment

• how about stability for a change?

Comment

• If this driver comes out with something ridiculous like the water mark of a couple of earlier releases I think I'm just going to laugh and cry at the same time.

But the major things I would like to see come in to these drivers are:

1. Better dual monitor support. I have a lappy with an x1400 (they brought out the nvidia option after I already bought it.) however I can change the card. But I also hook a 27" monitor up to this thing and I want to use its native res of 1920 x 1200 while still being able to drag programs from one screen to another (and have iceweasel open on both screens). My lappy does a 1680x1050 res on its screen.

2. 2.6.23 support. I have a nice hot kernel built but if I want to use it I have to just enjoy its power on the console.

I've been watching these forums for months but never commented but if these 2 things were included i would be satisfied.

Of course on the ATI time scale I would probably have to ask that they include support for kernel 3.0 support now to make sure they get it on time.

Comment

• Also, wann kommt die Wunderwaffe?

Sorry, just couldn't find a better for the driver name - it should be 8.42.4 Die Wunderwaffe. Go read some WW2 history to figure why

Comment

Working...
                      X