Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wil catalyst 11.6 support kernel 2.6.39?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wil catalyst 11.6 support kernel 2.6.39?

Anybody have any idea if it will?

Do you mean because of the removal of BKL which 11.5 seems to need?

Comment

Yes 11.5 do not work well with 2.6.3.9 there are all sorts of graphic glitches. What is BKL?

Comment

Originally posted by georgelappies View Post
        Yes 11.5 do not work well with 2.6.3.9 there are all sorts of graphic glitches. What is BKL?
        It's the Big Kernel Lock, a lock on all the kernel that a code section could have acquired exclusively. The usage of the BKL has been removed from all the kernel code two versions ago, and Linux version 2.6.39 has seen the definitive removal of the BKL functions.

Comment

Originally posted by Loris View Post
          It's the Big Kernel Lock, a lock on all the kernel that a code section could have acquired exclusively. The usage of the BKL has been removed from all the kernel code two versions ago, and Linux version 2.6.39 has seen the definitive removal of the BKL functions.
          Geesh ok, AMD will most definitely have to update the new catalyst drivers specifically for 2.6.39 then?

Comment

Originally posted by Loris View Post
            Yes, this is what I meant. In 2.6.38 the lock was still optional, I had to enable it to compile the kernel module from the Catalyst driver (but it seems to be nowhere mentioned in the install package). In 2.6.39 it is removed unconditionally.

Comment

The patches for .39 are in my script and can be simply found there:

I just slightly modified em with a kernel version check around the changed parts. Basically it is no big deal, but for ati impossible to solve in a timely manner.

Comment

Working...
              X