Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The End Of The Road For Linux 2.6 Looks Likely

Phoronix: The End Of The Road For Linux 2.6 Looks Likely

It was just a few hours ago that we were the first news site to point out the message by Linus Torvalds on the kernel mailing list about his desire to end the Linux 2.6 kernel series and move future releases to the Linux 2.8 or even Linux 3.0 series. While efforts to change the Linux kernel versioning have been voiced in the past and ultimately failed, it looks like the effort this time around is building momentum and the change could very well happen...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The hype of this one is going over my head. I've never gotten excited about arbitrary version numbering systems.

It reminds me a bit of when Slackware jumped from 4.0 to 7.0.

Hell, I wouldn't care if it was just an integer that started at 0 and incremented with every release.

Comment

One suggestion to Kernel 3.x

Please make the development branch splitted. Kernel 3.x can drop supports for old stack/framework/structure/drivers and make code clean and robust. Those old stuffs can still get support from 2.6.40+.

Comment

Originally posted by enihcam View Post
        Please make the development branch splitted. Kernel 3.x can drop supports for old stack/framework/structure/drivers and make code clean and robust. Those old stuffs can still get support from 2.6.40+.
        old interfaces always get deprecated and removed in linux kernel.

there is nothing groundbreaking to justify a switch from 2.6 to 2.8 or whatever. i think somebody has a feeling of middle-age crisis and doesn't want to go over 40

naming the kernel by date would be pretty logical, but it would make it harder to figure out which release is official/stable and which is not. and it would confuse a lof of userspace scripts during transition.

Comment

first media site? hardly

lwn was first. sometimes your shameless posing is not that exiting.

Comment

We'll keep monitoring the highly-active mailing list to see what is reached... This is also really great timing because, errr, just wait and see.
            Steam will be merged into Linux? ;>

Comment

Now!?

I don't care about schemes either, but at least they could fix the power bug before making such a massive increment.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
                old interfaces always get deprecated and removed in linux kernel.
                Only internal interfaces, not userspace facing ones; those are pretty much set in stone from what I understand. That was one of the reasons Jerome Glisse had given for the proprietary drivers having an advantage over the free ones. They can change their interfaces as much as they want since the blobs bundle together the kernel module with userspace pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
                  there is nothing groundbreaking to justify a switch from 2.6 to 2.8 or whatever. i think somebody has a feeling of middle-age crisis and doesn't want to go over 40
                  I opened the article hoping to read about a new major feature, too. Like when the switch to 2.6 was made and the kernel received a much improved scheduler and such.
                  Without these, they may call it 6.6.6 or 31.33.7 for all I care.

Comment

what's in a name?

Here! Here!
                    The rate at which they rip/replace major features is astounding
                    I haven't seen a stable kernel across all my systems since 2.6.32.
                    but keep those gfx driver updates coming!! ;-)
                    These version numbers are useless. might as well be integers or a calendar month.

To your distribution, is the only place to look for stability/sanity.

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    I opened the article hoping to read about a new major feature, too. Like when the switch to 2.6 was made and the kernel received a much improved scheduler and such.
                    Without these, they may call it 6.6.6 or 31.33.7 for all I care.

Comment

Working...
                    X