Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Not To Expect From The Linux 2.6.40 Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by michal View Post
    "The Reiser4 file-system still has not been proposed for integration into the mainline Linux kernel tree"

Who gives a flying ship about reiser4?
    i am. do you mind ?

With the open-source Radeon kernel driver, there still is not the bits in place yet for implementing Hyper-Z and Radeon HD 5000/6000 series HDMI audio support...
    Damn. I recall when R700 HDMI audio support was added towards the end of 2009, and when HDMI audio support under KMS was added in 2010. I just assumed that this would carry over to R800 (HD5000), but apparently not.

I recently got a couple of HD5450's and although they are not being used in HTPC's, I was looking forward to connecting them to my TV via HDMI occasionally.

Is anyone working on this? I can't program, but I might be able to help with testing.

Default HDMI audio broken in 2.6.40?

It looks like HDMI audio may be more generally broken in 2.6.40 - see here in FedoraForums http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho...d.php?t=267793 I had pretty much the identical experience to the OP here, specifically:-
    • No HDMI audio, even though no error messages and PA volume control shows active sound levels in bars. Other sound output devices OK.
    • Flash video jerky and 2-3 times speeded up. This is with Adobe proprietary x86_64 beta Flash plugin
    • All MythTV video - file, DVD or live TV (DVB-T) - fast & jerky, same as with Flash plugin. However same video content (file or DVD) plays OK in other applications (Kaffeine, Dragon)...apart from no HDMI audio

I am on x86_64. Graphics card is HD 4670 (RV730) with X.Org radeon driver and KMS. However the HDMI audio problem appears to be independent of graphics hardware / driver, and distribution. It is conceivable that the HDMI audio and video playback issues are independant, and just came up together. If I boot into 2.6.38.8-35 everything goes back to normal.

There are some reports that the HDMI audio at least is fixed in the very latest kernel versions; however it looks like quite a significant regression.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
    It looks like HDMI audio may be more generally broken in 2.6.40 - see here in FedoraForums http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho...d.php?t=267793 I had pretty much the identical experience to the OP here, specifically:-
    • No HDMI audio, even though no error messages and PA volume control shows active sound levels in bars. Other sound output devices OK.
    • Flash video jerky and 2-3 times speeded up. This is with Adobe proprietary x86_64 beta Flash plugin
    • All MythTV video - file, DVD or live TV (DVB-T) - fast & jerky, same as with Flash plugin. However same video content (file or DVD) plays OK in other applications (Kaffeine, Dragon)...apart from no HDMI audio

I am on x86_64. Graphics card is HD 4670 (RV730) with X.Org radeon driver and KMS. However the HDMI audio problem appears to be independent of graphics hardware / driver, and distribution. It is conceivable that the HDMI audio and video playback issues are independant, and just came up together. If I boot into 2.6.38.8-35 everything goes back to normal.

There are some reports that the HDMI audio at least is fixed in the very latest kernel versions; however it looks like quite a significant regression.
    Alex disabled audio by default in radeon. Lovely, isn't it?

Add "radeon.audio=1" to GRUB.

Quote Originally Posted by dfx. View Post
    i am. do you mind ?
    Why not? It's a killer filesystem. (an oldie but a goodie)

Quote Originally Posted by Zajec View Post
    Alex disabled audio by default in radeon. Lovely, isn't it?
    Why did he do that?

Add "radeon.audio=1" to GRUB.

The current hdmi code causes blank screens on a lot of systems if audio is enabled. Until that gets fixed properly, I thought it better to disable it.

Quote Originally Posted by agd5f View Post
    The current hdmi code causes blank screens on a lot of systems if audio is enabled. Until that gets fixed properly, I thought it better to disable it.
    Hard to say. You disabled audio which was working on (almost?) all R6xx/R7xx cards and you confused a lot of users by that. In pure math it could be easier for bug-affected users to disable audio with "radeon.audio=0". However, on the other hand, having modesetting working well is much more important than having feature like audio.

Can someone with account on fedoraforum.org explain Fedora users the issue? http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho...=267793&page=2

Yeah, it's a tough call. Unfortunately, it's dependant on the TV/monitor and how it interprets the hdmi packets. Blank screen is not something a lot of users can deal with, so I opted to go in favor of working display for now.

Thanks for the suggestions and explanation. With this parameter HDMI audio is restored, and the other video playback issues are fixed as well - so they obviously share the same underlying cause. I have cross-posted over on FedoraForum as well.

Thanks,
    Andrew