Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Not To Expect From The Linux 2.6.40 Kernel

Phoronix: What Not To Expect From The Linux 2.6.40 Kernel

Since the release of the Linux 2.6.39 kernel on Thursday, Linus Torvalds opened the merge window for the Linux 2.6.40 kernel and it will stay open until month's end. While the 2.6.40 kernel will bring several open-source graphics driver improvements (performance improvements, Intel Ivy Bridge support NVIDIA Optimus, etc), new hardware enablement, and other enhancements, there's a few features that you will not find in this next major Linux kernel release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Synaptics LED

I don't understand why the very simple synaptics LED patch by Takashi Iwai has not made it into the kernel. It's been around for ~1 yr now.

Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

This allows the LED on some clickpads (and maybe normal touchpads) to turn on when disabled. Furthermore with a xf86-input-synaptics patch, you can double tap the LED to toggle the the touchpad on and off.

This is extremely useful for laptops when you plug in a portable mouse and don't want your typing affected by the touchpad. (Yes I know about syndaemon).

Comment

Fixing the power consumption bug?

I mean, fixing this bug to me would be the nicest of all features. Since it's unlikely we will see it fixed in <2.6.39, I consider it to be a "feature" of 2.6.40.

Besides, why isn't even mentioned on the list?

Comment

What about

H264 VA-API acceleration? I hope it will be ready for this kernel

Comment

I'd like to see zram and zcache as stable. That is, out of staging, and cleancache merged.

Comment

EFI and radeon DisplayPort enhancements

* will boot with grub-efi on many more EFI firmwares
            * radeon/kms improved support for DisplayPort.

so 2.6.40 will provide early support for imac12,2 (2011),
            still not without some hacks

Comment

Oh yeah, there's the bug I've been following still in .39, reboot/poweroff/sleep all crash on EFI.

Double whammy, since I was going to buy that netbook. Well, better wait until it can power off :P
              ( https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/721576 )

Comment

What Not To Expect From The Linux 2.6.40 Kernel: Actually viable open-source graphics drivers.

(I'm just trolling and/or joking, so please ignore me.)

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
                  What Not To Expect From The Linux 2.6.40 Kernel: Actually viable open-source graphics drivers.

(I'm just trolling and/or joking, so please ignore me.)
                  Yes, because it's not the drivers; it's KDE.

Comment

reiser4

"The Reiser4 file-system still has not been proposed for integration into the mainline Linux kernel tree"

Who gives a flying ship about reiser4?

Comment

Working...
                    X