Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this category also for SiS and Trident?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this category also for SiS and Trident?

Just an interesting question. Which section to use for SiS or Trident graphics?

Over a month and no reply. I guess that means no one cares?

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
      Over a month and no reply. I guess that means no one cares?
      It's more likely no one knows how to answer, ie there wasn't enough detail in the original question.

There are generic xorg/drm and mesa sections, plus some GPU-specific sections. If none of the GPUs-specific sections fit (which I think is the case here) then the generic sections (X.Org & DRM or OpenGL, Mesa & Gallium3D) would be used, depending on whether the question was more about modesetting/2D/video graphics or about 3D graphics.

If you mean "nobody cares" in the sense that "the world will not end if someone posts about an SIS or Trident GPU here" that's probably true
      Last edited by bridgman; 01 July 2011, 07:13 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        It's more likely no one knows how to answer, ie there wasn't enough detail in the original question.

There are generic xorg/drm and mesa sections, plus some GPU-specific sections. If none of the GPUs-specific sections fit (which I think is the case here) then the generic sections (X.Org & DRM or OpenGL, Mesa & Gallium3D) would be used, depending on whether the question was more about modesetting/2D/video graphics or about 3D graphics.

If you mean "nobody cares" in the sense that "the world will not end if someone posts about an SIS or Trident GPU here" that's probably true
        Hehe

Well, there isn't a section for SiS graphics so I could see not knowing where to post.

I have the grave misfortune of having a laptop with SiS graphics.

I can install any distro but there's an issue when wanting to use the sleep/suspend/hibernate function.

When placing the lid down, it seems to go in sleep mode but nothing will wake it up.

The screen goes blank, the wifi light goes off (green to orange) and nothing seems to happen.

I guess one has to change the settings for the screensaver or save power mode or something?

Any ideas?

Comment

Make sure the SiS driver is active in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. If there's a Driver "vesa" line, edit it do Driver "sis". If the file is empty or doesn't exist, you can put this into it:

Section "Screen"
          Driver "sis"
          EndSection.

It will enable the SiS driver and probably your suspend/hibernate problems are gone.

@ Moderators, feel free to move this topic if it doesn't fit in the VIA/S3 section.

Comment

xserver-xorg-video-sis package at 1:0.10.3-2ubuntu3 version is installed.

So, do you advise to still create that xorg.conf file? I looked and as expected, there is no xorg.conf file in the etc/X11/ directory.

Comment

The driver is installed but does not come active before it's instructed to load in xorg.conf.

Just create the file if it isn't there. You need root permission, but you can also open Gedit directly:
              Code:
              gksu gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
              This has to be put into the file:
              Code:
              Section "Screen"
              Driver "sis"
              EndSection

Comment

I tried the creation of the above xorg.conf file and configured accordingly. Same response. Laptop screen goes black and nothing wakes it up. Lifting the lid back up, nothing happens. Can't even hit the power button or any keys since there's no response. Need a hard reboot to do anything more.

I guess this is why the SiS graphics is to be avoided even if it's a cheap laptop.

Unless, there is something else to try, I guess I will give up. If one can't use basic functions, I suppose it's resigned to be a Windows machine.

Comment

Working...
                X