Installing Catalyst on Ubuntu 11.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Catalyst on Ubuntu 11.04

I'm trying to install the latest Catalyst 11.5 on Ubuntu 11.04 and holy fuck is it hard!

The last Ubuntu version I used for an extended period of time was 6.10, but now 11.04 won me over once again. The problem is installing the Catalyst drivers. In openSUSE it's just a matter of running the installer and generating the suse package. Works like a charm. Not in Ubuntu though.

First I tried to use the "Additional drivers" program, and that did install fglrx, but not the CCC. I also don't want to keep the same old version as newer versions come out, so I tried going the manual route. The first problem I encountered was that the installer ran, decompress its files and then immediately after decompressing all the files it would delete the temp folder and terminate itself without a single message on what's going on. No GUI, nothing. I then discovered the --buildpkg argument and that seemed to work, as 3 new .deb files appeared. I installed those packages successfuly, but aticonfig is not in the path. I found it on the /usr/lib/fglrx/bin directory and so I tried running it from there resulting in this error:

Code:
    Unable to open /etc/ati/control, please reinstall the driver.
    /usr/lib/fglrx/bin/aticonfig: No supported adapters detected
    The /etc/ati directory doesn't even exist. I have all the dependencies mentioned in the unofficial ati/amd wiki and still it doesn't work.

I'm a moderately knowledgeable linux user, and have always managed to install these kind of things without resorting to any forums, but now I'm lost. No wonder so many people complain about Catalyst. I could never understand why since in openSUSE everything just worked flawlessly. Wasn't Ubuntu supposed to be the most user-friendly distro out there?...

So, in short, if someone can point me to an installation guide that does work or have any other tips I'm all ears.

Code:
    wget -N http://kanotix.com/files/install-fglrx-debian.sh
    sudo sh install-fglrx-debian.sh -z
    sudo reboot

Comment

Nope. Thanks but also doesn't work.

glxinfo reports that: OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS880 after running your script. It also reported these errors during the process:

install-fglrx-debian.sh: 9274: aticonfig: not found
      cp: imposs?vel analisar ?/etc/X11/xorg.conf?: Ficheiro ou directoria inexistente (it means it couldn't find the file).

As before, all the catalyst programs (fglrxinfo, fgl_glxgears, etc) are in /usr/lib/fglrx/bin/ and that directory doesn't seem to be on the PATH. What the hell is going on? Did I do something bad to my system or is this a bug in Catalyst?

Comment

Ok, seems that ati broke it, it worked with 11-4. Maybe use
        Code:
        sudo sh install-fglrx-debian.sh -uz
        That will try with an updated packageing. I currently have got no U install - and i absolutely hate to install it because of a stupid fglrx packageing issue... If nothing helps you can revert to 11-4 using
        Code:
        sudo sh install-fglrx-debian.sh -zv11-4

Comment

./ati-installer...sh --buildpkg Ubuntu/natty
          sudo dpkg -i *.deb
          sudo apt-get -f install (if needed)

Job done. You don't need aticonfig etc. and shouldnt use it with Ubuntu 11.04.
          Last edited by d2kx; 20 May 2011, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            ./ati-installer...sh --buildpkg Ubuntu/natty
            sudo dpkg -i *.deb
            sudo apt-get -f install (if needed)

Job done. You don't need aticonfig etc. and shouldnt use it with Ubuntu 11.04.
            That's the first thing I tried, but that left me without the Catalyst Control Center and also didn't touch xorg.conf obviously. I could add the device section by hand, but it really shouldn't be necessary. It also didn't create the /etc/ati directory. I've seen reports of people installing 11.5 perfectly fine, so it could be some problem on my system.

@kano I'll try those options as soon as I can, which will probably be monday. Your script seems nice, but it could be even better if it check the current directory for the presence of the installer before downloading it and used that instead if present.

Comment

It checks before downloading, but it has to be in /usr/src dir.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                That's the first thing I tried, but that left me without the Catalyst Control Center and also didn't touch xorg.conf obviously. I could add the device section by hand, but it really shouldn't be necessary. It also didn't create the /etc/ati directory. I've seen reports of people installing 11.5 perfectly fine, so it could be some problem on my system.

@kano I'll try those options as soon as I can, which will probably be monday. Your script seems nice, but it could be even better if it check the current directory for the presence of the installer before downloading it and used that instead if present.
                You don't need the xorg.conf to use Catalyst in Ubuntu. Weird that it's not working for you...

Comment

This keeps getting weirder and weirder. I've installed fglrx through the packages provided by the X-Swat PPA and they install just fine, no errors, no warnings, no extra dependencies needed. However, upon reboot dmesg says this:

Code:
                  [    11.270] (II) LoadModule: "fglrx"
                  [    11.271] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module fglrx
                  [    11.271] (II) UnloadModule: "fglrx"
                  [    11.271] (II) Unloading fglrx
                  [    11.271] (EE) Failed to load module "fglrx" (module does not exist, 0)
                  What the hell is going on? I have the kernel headers along with all the other required libraries that are mentioned in the "release notes" and the unofficial ati wiki page. Can anybody tell me where the module was supposed to be in? I still don't have a /etc/ati directory and aticonfig and the rest of the catalyst binaries aren't in the PATH. I do have the fglrx-amdcccle and fglrx-dev packages installed. I'm thinking of posting a bug report to the unofficial ati/amd bugtracker.

Comment

For some strange reason having the X-Swat PPA activated in my repository list and using jockey to install 3rd party drivers makes the whole thing work. Jockey seems to be using the fglrx packages from X-Swat instead of the default 11.4, so whatever is in that repository gets installed. Weird.
                    Anyway, the newer 11.6 version of Catalyst does install properly and I now have quick access to the Catalyst Control Center and all the other binaries. It was definitely a problem with the previous packages failing to install properly on certain conditions that my system met.

Comment

Working...
                    X