Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA Gets Happy, Puts Out Two New Blobs

Default NVIDIA Gets Happy, Puts Out Two New Blobs

Phoronix: NVIDIA Gets Happy, Puts Out Two New Blobs

NVIDIA has put out two new proprietary Linux driver updates. One of the drivers is a pre-release in the 270.xx series that largely is after bug-fixing, but the second driver is more interesting as it's the first (development) NVIDIA Linux driver release in the 275.xx series. The NVIDIA 275.09 beta driver brings new features...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTQ2Nw

I don't understand why they work on Linux support for their 3D feature, while there is something important like Optimus being neglected. Is 3D being used in the Linux business world then?

I expect 3d is being used for modeling and drafting, at the very least. Of course, anyone who's making games will need 3d capabilities, but I guess that's not as common in the "greater" game industry.

Quote Originally Posted by EarthMind View Post
    I don't understand why they work on Linux support for their 3D feature, while there is something important like Optimus being neglected. Is 3D being used in the Linux business world then?
    Would you like them to stop working on a Linux driver instead?

What about the state of RANDR support?

The Linux graphics market is workstation 3D. That's where the customers are. That's why both fglrx and nvidia tend to focus on professional 3D applications.

Default KMS...

Still no KMS support...

DAMMIT!

Quote Originally Posted by Raine View Post

Still no KMS support...

DAMMIT!
    The NVIDIA blob has had KMS support for a long, long time. Much longer the the OSS drivers. It also supports running X as a normal user. If NVIDIA were to switch the blob to use the same method of acceleration as the OSS drivers, it would set them back years in terms of reliability, performance, and image quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobu View Post
    I expect 3d is being used for modeling and drafting, at the very least. Of course, anyone who's making games will need 3d capabilities, but I guess that's not as common in the "greater" game industry.
    I meant the 3D Vision feature, for which you have to wear 3D glasses. I wonder who uses that on Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by EarthMind View Post
    I meant the 3D Vision feature, for which you have to wear 3D glasses. I wonder who uses that on Linux.
    The big enterprise customers. nVidia does not target their GNU/Linux drivers for desktop users.