Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These are the prior Qns/statements I've not yet had direct responses to:

(1)
    The 560 would be just a power efficient as the 520, when only being used for VA right?

(2)
    Finally, despite being lower power, cards like the 430 don't seem to be available in truly single-slot form-factors, even w/after-market air or water cooling solutions!
    That was the last time I checked, admittedly it has been a few months now...

(3)
    I'd prefer a single-slot WC solution over a single-slot air cooling one, but it seems WC vendors only like to focus on mid to high-end cards.
    At least last time I checked....

(4) <--same as (2) really
    Are you aware of cooling solution's for the 430/520 that I'm not aware of?

(5)
    Perhaps you feel the 520 is as good as the 430 for gaming, & equal or better for VA?

(6)
    Assuming I do eventually get a truly HD 42" screen (maybe slightly smaller)
    I assume your suggestion would be an unequivocal: GTX 560/Ti?

(7)
    Last time I looked closely at TV display technologies (admittedly some time ago)...
    Plasma was a favourite amongst some videophiles for it's qualities, power consumption was not one of those qualities.

(8)
    I was not aware Plasma is still limited to non-HD resolutions, are you sure?
    I'm surprised by that & if it's true, then I guess I'll have to rule-it-out as the basis for my next screen?!

(9)
    Is a 200-400Hz OLED/3d LCD inferior or equal to a Plasma in some ways, or is it better in every single way?

(10)
    Do you know of any excellent/in-depth comparative analysis between the two (& other) display techs?

(11)
    Any suggestions for specific makes/models? (I love what Samsung's been doing in recent years)
    I'd prefer to stay @42", but if that means cost is going be much more than $1k (in order to maintain best IQ), then I'm prepared to go sub-42".

Answers or thoughts on any are very much appreciated, thank-you!
    Last edited by jalyst; 21 May 2011, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jalyst View Post
      Thanks mate, do you the answer to any of my other Qns? in prior posts.

These look like the only TV's on the Australian Samsung site that look even remotely affordable:

Their RRP is still waaay more than my $500 limit...
      But they're still relatively cheap, compared to some of the other 40" (or more) screens on that site.

Geezus!
      The superb samsung TVs begin with the 6000 serie. Currently there are cheap 6000 serie samsung TVs on the market, read this:

http://ledhdtvtelevisions.com/samsung-led-tv-series/

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsu...0100506527.htm
      Last edited by Jimbo; 21 May 2011, 07:31 AM.

Comment

I still dont get why you would need a low end nvidia card. You cpu has got vaapi accelleration for h264 (xbmc can use it) and should be stable already (compared to sandy bridge which still can be a tiny bit problematic). If you want to play current games low end cards are not much better than onboard solutions. For games in full hd with high gfx detail a gtx 460/560 is usually the minimum, a 560 ti would be a smart choice if you have got the money left. Lowend cards are lost money just for video accelleration when your onboard solution can do that as well - and even need energy for nothing. Currently just vlc+libav/ffmpeg git does not enable vaapi (the same applies for nvidia cards, as they need a wrapper from vdpau to vaapi in that case), but mplayer vaapi or xbmc should be fine. Try and see... Use Kanotix with some of my scripts when your current distro does not allow to test this.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
          The superb samsung TVs begin with the 6000 serie. Currently there are cheap 6000 serie samsung TVs on the market, read this:
          http://ledhdtvtelevisions.com/samsung-led-tv-series/
          http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsu...0100506527.htm
          None of those come up on the Aussie site for me. (see the link I provided)
          Admittedly my upper RRP limit was $2100 from memory.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            <SNIP>
            Fair enough mate, I was already erring towards 560 Ti, you got me 100% decided.
            No more questions directly relating to the lower end cards.
            I don't suppose you can help with any of these remaining questions:

(1)
            The 560 Ti would be just a power efficient as the 520, when only being used for VA right?

(2)
            Assuming I do eventually get a 1080p 42" screen (maybe slightly smaller)
            I imagine a GT430/520 wouldn't be an option period for any relatively modern PC game?

(3) [statement; but still interested in some reflections on this if possible]
            Last time I looked closely at TV display technologies (admittedly some time ago)...
            Plasma was a favourite amongst some videophiles for it's qualities, power consumption was not one of those qualities.

(4)
            I'm surprised by that & if it's true, then I won't consider Plasmas at all for my next TV

(5)
            Is a 200-400Hz LED LCD inferior or equal to a Plasma in some ways, or is it better in every respect?

(6)
            Do you know of any excellent comparative analysis between the two (& other) display techs?

(7)
            Any suggestions for specific makes/models? (I love what Samsung's been doing in recent years)
            I'd prefer to stay @42", but if that means cost will be much more than $1k...
            And in order to maintain the best IQ), then I'm prepared to go sub-42".

Thanks everyone for your time/help.
            Last edited by jalyst; 21 May 2011, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Fair enough mate, I was already erring towards 560 Ti, you got me 100% decided.
              No more questions directly relating to the lower end cards.
              I don't suppose you can help with any of these remaining questions:

(1)
              The 560 Ti would be just a power efficient as the 520, when only being used for VA right?
              Not, the 560 consumes more power than the 520. There's no way around that.

(2)
              I imagine a GT430/520 wouldn't be an option period for any relatively modern PC game?
              True. These cards won't be able to run modern games at 1080p (but you can always drop resolution and visual quality to improve performance).

My 40'' LCD consumes around 400W so it's not as if LCDs do not consume power. Plasmas generally need more power, however.

(4)
              I'm surprised by that & if it's true, then I won't consider Plasmas at all for my next TV
              All plasmas sold today can do 720p and many (most) can do 1080p.

(5)
              Is a 200-400Hz LED LCD inferior or equal to a Plasma in some ways, or is it better in every respect?
              Better in every respect? Of course not. The LCD will be worse in at least three respects: black depth, ghosting/blurring and (depending on panel quality) viewing angles.

None of these is generally an issue - the human eye is a surprisingly adaptive organ. The best approach would be to view panels in your price range with your own eyes, and pick the one that looks best to you.

Hint: ask for the remote control and reset the display mode to normal (most panels are usually set to "presentation" mode in the store, in order to make them look better than they are - you won't be using this mode at home, so try to see how they really look).

(7)
              See above. The make doesn't really matter if you like how it looks.

However, search online for "[TV model]+problems" before you buy. Many models have specific issues that may or may not affect you (for instance, many Sony models artificially limit VGA signal to 720p even when the output device is capable of 1080p).

If you intend to connect a PC, make sure you can completely disable "dynamic contrast", "motion interpolation" (i.e. 120Hz upsampling mode) and check that the TV doesn't have too high input latency (some models have been known to have >60ms of input latency which is both visible and annoying in games).

Comment

Also this: http://www.cnet.com.au/plasma-vs-lcd...-240036500.htm

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                  This is extremely normal resolution for plasma.
                  I don't even understand why you would buy plasma...

1. Eats huge amount of electricity.
                  Huge is relative. 4 incandescent bulbs chew up more. Swap the lights to cfls or led and you will save more money.
                  2. Burns out after 5 years.
                  Bullshit. I have had plasmas for years and not one has "burnt" out.

3. Low resolutions(some recent models try to achive hdready, not seen fullhd plasma yet)
                  1080P plasmas are readily available with the same resolutions as LCD.

4. Weight
                  Big deal, it's not like you haul the damn thing around like a laptop.

Why not get 200-400Hz OLED 3d capable LCD?
                  Inferior picture and poor gradient shade handling. Both are easily visible on even the highest end LCD.

Comment

(1)
                    *See for yourself*
                    Generally, the card has several (at least three) power modes, each of which can be forced. There is no overclocking possiblity for 4xx/5xx via nvidia-settings now, one of the reasons is to downclock idle mode even more. You can patch card bios with one windows utility and write the Mhz you want directly inside. This may however nullify warranty, if you won?t reflash the card bios back prior to rma case or if your overclocking/underclocking would cause that RMA.

(2)
                    No, it would not be an option. Your minimum would be 550Ti.
                    However, be sure to try something like No One Lives Forever 2. =)

I have 42" Toshiba REGZA series LCD TV. Watchable from all angles, very deep contrast, around 170W consumption, 200 Mhz motion filtering, Linux powered (linux kernel, gcc, glibc, even gnu license), can read usb sticks, integrated DVB-C with CA-encryption slot.
                    Modern OLED LCDs do not have permanent backlight, but produce on-demand. As result, they consume as little as 80W.

(4)
                    Apparently there are newer models with fullhd.
                    The Plasma problem is that image is generated by heat, with LCD it is very economical fluorescent lamp or even OLED array.
                    Plasma contrast did not impress me - LCD can match plasma, I was however impressed by incredible dot-ism of the low resolution and heavy weight.

(5)
                    It should be superior in almost all ways, including price - this is my personal opinion.

(6)
                    Do you know of any excellent comparative analysis between the two (& other) display techs?
                    I pass here. Wikipedia was more than enough for me, then I just compared plasma vs lcd live in the shop and sorted & bought im internet. Spent around a day reading and comparing, but not big deal.

(7)

Thanks everyone for your time/help.
                    This is good EU price-comparison site, although it is in german, you should understand everything without much questions. Start at the left, pick either LCD or Plasma and "starting from" size.
                    Pick features (like small consumption, fullhd etc) and sort by price. This way you will get good actual list, which you can walk on and read reviews, eventually filtering everything relevant to you.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                      Huge is relative. 4 incandescent bulbs chew up more. Swap the lights to cfls or led and you will save more money.
                      "300W to 80W" huge.

Bullshit. I have had plasmas for years and not one has "burnt" out.
                      I had good friend, with hobby in home cinema, and his plasma did burn out.

1080P plasmas are readily available with the same resolutions as LCD.
                      your forgot to add "recently". LCD was available in fullhd for years already.

Big deal, it's not like you haul the damn thing around like a laptop.
                      Yeah BIG deal, if you are not living alone. Wall-montage mechanism for 200kg vs 100Kg costs more, you will have to perforate 4x 12 wallplug instead of 8x 14. Less damage to wall, easier to cover. That is in case you use wall-montage. Otherwise, your furniture will say thanks. Maybe sometimes you say that yourself if current orientation and position does not appeal to gf/wife/you suddenly.

Inferior picture and poor gradient shade handling. Both are easily visible on even the highest end LCD.
                      Nope. Brilliant pixel-free smooth picture combined with low power drain over complete period.

Comment

Working...
                      X