No announcement yet.

What's Coming Up For GNOME 3.2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm probably in the minority in here, but I really like where Gnome and Ubuntu are going. Really nice to see the linux desktop advancing and changing so much after such a long time of stagnation. Ok, so KDE 4 also made a big splash, but its bugginess will be the end of the project eventually, unless they dedicate more time polishing all the little details.

Comment

Originally posted by crispy View Post
      I believe this could be very neat in combination with btrfs rollbacks.
      Yep, it will be a great feature.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
        Well, I guess it's better than KDE ripping-of the Windows 7 UI
        Stop this bullshit, Win7 copied KDE look.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
          Ok, so KDE 4 also made a big splash, but its bugginess will be the end of the project eventually, unless they dedicate more time polishing all the little details.
          Better don't look at gnome bug tracker then.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
            Better don't look at gnome bug tracker then.
            Bugs happen.

Gnome-shell has shown a massive level of polish for a initial .0 release.

The majority of doubters are people that:
            1. Have no intention of using it in the first place and just like to spout bullshit and troll online. Or are morons that think that KDE vs Gnome is a zero sum game and irritating people with their pissy attitude is somehow benefiting their desktop.

2. Are people that used Alpha/Beta versions and don't realize how to get it up to date or haven't tried it in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
              Bugs happen.

Gnome-shell has shown a massive level of polish for a initial .0 release.

The majority of doubters are people that:
              1. Have no intention of using it in the first place and just like to spout bullshit and troll online. Or are morons that think that KDE vs Gnome is a zero sum game and irritating people with their pissy attitude is somehow benefiting their desktop.

2. Are people that used Alpha/Beta versions and don't realize how to get it up to date or haven't tried it in a while.
              Troll alert!

Comment

He's not trolling, I completely agree. for a .0 release gnome 3 is very, very polished. Much more so than unity.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                  He's not trolling, I completely agree. for a .0 release gnome 3 is very, very polished. Much more so than unity.
                  Nobody was talking about Gnome Shell, but about entire Gnome. It's more buggy than KDE according to some sources.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                    Nobody was talking about Gnome Shell, but about entire Gnome. It's more buggy than KDE according to some sources.
                    There's no real metric how you can measure gnome is buggier than kde or vise versa, this is a pointless pissing contest.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                      There's no real metric how you can measure gnome is buggier than kde or vise versa, this is a pointless pissing contest.
                      I know of a metric. Try using kde as your main desktop environment for an extended period of time.

I did just that starting with version 4.3 up to 4.6 (openSUSE 11.2 - 11.4 and Arch) when the ever increasing number of visible and annoying bugs made me ditch it. Version 4.3 was in fact way more stable than the more recent versions, but 4.5.3 IIRC was also a nice one. 4.6 is just bug after bug after bug, not to mention the resource hog that is nepomuk, that doesn't even stop indexing and using 100% of a cpu core when in battery mode, although it should turn itself off in that scenario (that was the bahaviour in 4.5). And to add insult to the injury, most of the time it doesn't even find what I want. And then there's multi-monitor support when there is a need to constantly change between single and dual/external-screen which is also a mess. Even when there's not such need it's a mess because some maximized windows go behind panels that are supposed to be always on top on some situations, etc. Activities are buggy as hell. Panels are buggy as hell (this is what my desktop looked like after every reboot although I fixed all the problems on each session: kde 4.6 desktop).

Enough is enough. Too bad... I really like some things in KDE (dolphin is awesome) and would still be using it if it allowed me to.

Comment

Working...
                      X