Good News For John Bridgman Et Al

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Except that very soon you'll lose test result graphs when AdBlock is detected and instead served awkward tables.
    Interesting... You are going to host the graphs on an ad server?

Comment

Yes, finally. Thanks You. I really was hating this one minut limit.

Comment

Except that very soon you'll lose test result graphs when AdBlock is detected and instead served awkward tables.
        This approach is dangerous. A site lives off on its users, not the other way around. If they want to filter out advertisements, it's their choice. Even if adblock filters http requests, you could always change it back to the way it is now in chromium, where it actually performs the requests, just blends them out.

In other words, you'll never be able to control what the users really see.

If you want to enforce people paying, just make the whole site premium access only. And why aren't you doing it? Because you know that it'd more or less mean the death of it. No one likes being forced into something. I know I wouldn't pay. I find around 10% of the news here really worth my while.

I repeat my suggestion that you drop the premium and ads crap and move to a donation based approach. If it works for wikipedia, there's no reason it shouldn't work for you.

Also, I must say I personally don't find it so awesome to first enforce a really retarded edit limit and after a few months to remove it and post it as positive news. It never should have been there to begin with.
        Last edited by susikala; 21 May 2011, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by susikala View Post
          I repeat my suggestion that you drop the premium and ads crap and move to a donation based approach. If it works for wikipedia, there's no reason it shouldn't work for you.
          Well Wikipedia has also run ad campaigns, not for a product or service from some other company. But for itself, urging people to donate. Very intrusive ads with a big face pic of Jimmy Wales plastered over any wikipedia page. I'm sure it did a lot for his ego but I really hated it.

I think the current situation is fine. Those who are bothered by the advertisements will block them, and those who are not, well they can watch them, click on them, whatever.

Comment

No reply from John Bridgman?

Really thank you for all the work on open source drivers, although I don't yet use AMD cards, I sure will one day.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
              Well Wikipedia has also run ad campaigns, not for a product or service from some other company. But for itself, urging people to donate. Very intrusive ads with a big face pic of Jimmy Wales plastered over any wikipedia page. I'm sure it did a lot for his ego but I really hated it.

Comment

For what it's worth... The Arch Linux forums don't have any edit time limit that I'm aware of, and their users are actively encouraged to use the edit feature instead of posting again, even if that's one day later. Different forums though, they are more about problem solving than chatting, and there are lots of posts every day.

I also believe the admins "solved" the spam problem by using Linux-specific questions during the account creation...

Comment

Thanks, Michael. This is great. FWIW I suspect that my "real" post count is much smaller than yours... I just had more delete/repost edits

9:04 EDIT - yep, it works

P.S. I was up north for the long weekend and just got back to my corner of civilization (running water and dial-up internet) now.
                  Last edited by bridgman; 22 May 2011, 09:08 PM.
                  Test signature

Comment

Will it be possible to edit own signature?

Comment

Some of us may see that as a feature...

Comment

Working...
                      X