X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Panix View Post
    I have a laptop with SiS graphics.
    You have my deepest sympathies..

I think the issues or problems are understated here. Then there's the trolls (same ppl who accuse others of being trolls) who pretend there's hardly any issues at all.
    I acknowledge issues exist, however, I believe there are better ways of solving them than generalized ranting on Phoronix forums.

one of my laptops doesn't 'wake up' when the lid goes down. It requires a hard re-boot. I'm inclined to speculate it's often graphics related or something to do with X-Server?
    What have you done to troubleshoot the issue? Where is your bug report?

Comment

I think the issues or problems are understated here. Then there's the trolls (same ppl who accuse others of being trolls) who pretend there's hardly any issues at all.
      I think they're not, because you're ignoring them. Are you able to point to a single comment stating there's hardly any issues at all? As far it's you who's ignoring the fact there are many issues on windows with wirelless, troll (by your definition: same ppl who accuse others of being trolls).

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
        I think they're not, because you're ignoring them. Are you able to point to a single comment stating there's hardly any issues at all? As far it's you who's ignoring the fact there are many issues on windows with wirelless, troll (by your definition: same ppl who accuse others of being trolls).
        Ok. I don't want to argue anymore. Let the content/details based on the topic of the thread continue.

Comment

The hibernate/suspend/sleep problems is another that seems to be omitted from these types of discussions. I am not sure if it is usually distro-related, kernel/graphics or what but one of my laptops doesn't 'wake up' when the lid goes down. It requires a hard re-boot. I'm inclined to speculate it's often graphics related or something to do with X-Server?

Anyway...
          Its usually graphics related or some driver that isn't unloading correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
            Its usually graphics related or some driver that isn't unloading correctly.
            Ahhh... well, I hope I'm not out of luck then.

It's a SiS 760GX graphics chipset. Uh-oh...

Comment

Originally posted by ahlaht View Post
              You are right. That was a scary transition. But KMS is an optional feature. Linux distributions could have just kept it off by default.

But of course it's faster to do the alpha testing with users so there are more people complaining to upstream and things get fixed faster.
              Hehe, in that case I can both confirm the 'alpha' and the 'testing'. Man, they really enabled that one distro release too early

Comment

Long ago

Life now is better than it was back then. 10-15 years ago.

Shuttleworth got the ball rolling over everybody's toes. Linux is finally going somewhere.

Clicking a deb file in the browser and having the installer fire up is a feat in itself.

I ain't looking back. Sometimes I think of all the crap I have put up with was for naught.

Comment

Originally posted by esquio View Post
                  If you would have to buy a computer now, what would you buy to run Linux?
                  A NVIDIA laptop? Optimus not so much supported, Hybrid performance is bad, to the level that it don't works at all...
                  http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/06/b...ing-to-ubuntu/ looks like optimus support will be in sometime soon.
                  Point taken though that hybrid graphics on Linux at the moment aren't that great. If I needed a production system that absolutely required the extra battery life that hybrid graphics provides I would probably hold off for a few months more though.

Comment

Working...
                  X