Mobility Radeon Graphics Drivers & Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobility Radeon Graphics Drivers & Linux

So, I was all excited to hear that ATI opened up it's drivers to the open source community, until i read that that my graphics card isn't supported with the new driver.. IN fact, it says (in another forum that i searched) it will cause instability issues with Mobility radeon cards.

I have an Asus G2P laptop, it's a "gaming laptop". So far (when i had windows) it did me well. I decided i wanted to join the open source community, and try linux again, since i had read up some more about it. Only problem is, i haven't gotten to the point of programming yet. I need a driver for this computer... I love Linux. I want to stay with linux. But i can't game with it, if i don't have a driver that will support gaming.

I come here, asking (humbly) for assistance in this matter, and hope that someone knows a workaround for this issue... I have a Mobility Radeon x1700 graphics card. (which coincidentally isn't even on ATI's website) I need drivers. Can someone please help!? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Using the unified driver from ATI's website should work for your card.

With due time the new open-source driver should work for you as well.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

been there done that

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Using the unified driver from ATI's website should work for your card.

With due time the new open-source driver should work for you as well.
      I have tried that driver, several times... it disables my 3D desktop, and gives me crappy resolutions to pick from. and it won't even load my games.

So in short, without trying to be a pain. They don't work for me for some reason. I don't know that much about the config files.. maybe i am supposed to set up some configurations manually?

If so can you post a link to a how-to? please.

Thanks

Comment

I have an Asus w3j with a mobility x1600.

It works fine, and runs compiz, albeit no where near as good as my 8800GTS on my desktop.

I saw you have a mobility x1700.

Since it's an r600 GPU, it should be supported if you follow the directions at that wiki. I run kubuntu, and it's worked flawlessly for me, but when I first started I had problems. Make sure you READ EVERYTHIGN and FOLLOW ALL THE DIRECTIONS. Skipping things will lead to headaches. Trust me.

What distro are you running?

And also, if you were talking about the open source driver, I wouldn't get your hopes up. It's going to be a while before they get everything going. I mean, they're making a driver, and AMD just released the specs. You can't expect magic to happen overnight.

Get the binary one from ATI. If you don't want to run proprietary closed source software, well, I'm not quite sure what to tell you, because you're going to be without 3d acceleration for a while.

Comment

I'm running a gentoo based distro, called Sabayon. Or at least I was. I tried to do everything exactly as described, but it just never worked for me. I have since moved over to SimplyMepis, and everything works beautifully. (Well for the most part, minor things to fix, but nothing intensive)

Comment

Now I'm trying to download the "Non-Free" proprietary driver from somewhere... (ANYWHERE) and all of them are giving me the _64.run... I'm not a using 64 bit processor, so it won't let me use this one. I can't seem to find the 32 bit version of the driver! Any ideas? Please? I need this driver as a backup in case I reinstall. Thanks!

Comment

ATI's unified package provides the driver for both 32-bit and 64-bit from the same installer.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

The ati installer has both 32 + 64 bit in one package.

Comment

Maybe they should rename the driver's file since many persons do not understand that this is a really *unified* driver...

Comment

It has been renamed too often already. Also the name DOES show that is is for both arch:

ati-driver-installer-8.42.3-x86.x86_64.run

x86: 32 bit

x86_64: 64 bit

Comment

Working...
                    X