No announcement yet.

Open-Source AMD Fusion Driver Stabilizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm running an e350 (zotac ad10) as an HTPC running openelec nightly eden builds (xbmc, catalyst 11.10) - It eats through 95% of 1080p .mkvs irrelevant of bitrate, 5% play 'perfectly fine' except all movement on the screen is followed by horrendous macroblocking

I knew it was going to be a rough ride for the platform in linux, and any sensible person would have bought an older, cheaper nvidia ION based device...
    I do hope that things improve in the future, before it becomes completely obsolete.

I don't care about game benchmarks, desktop GUI performance or even proprietary/oss drivers (yes, I said it...) - Playing back video is the first thing I'm interested in, ATI are absolutely miles behind in this regard. VDPAU and nvidia binary drivers have worked pretty much flawlessly for as long as I can remember, ATI on linux still remains a disgraceful mess for many users.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
      What about about battery life, how many hours you get, and how much is it in Windows?
      In Linux with wifi on, about 6 hours of browsing. This is no-flash setup.
      In windows little more than 6:30-7 hours, no-flash also.

For Linux I have followed this wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IBM_ThinkPad_X120e

Do you have such laptop in possession? I want another Linux guy to test something.

Comment

I have an HP dm1z, which is close enough provided you don't wish to test BIOS-related stuff. (Both systems probably use similar Foxconn motherboards).

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
          I have an HP dm1z, which is close enough provided you don't wish to test BIOS-related stuff. (Both systems probably use similar Foxconn motherboards).
          Well, I actually want to test BIOS stuff. When I enter the bios, and when I exit it without any changes Linux won't boot. It hangs at "Booting the kernel...". I need to turn off the laptop, and then back on. Restart after windows...the same. Any ideas?
          Last edited by Drago; 07 November 2011, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
            In Linux with wifi on, about 6 hours of browsing. This is no-flash setup.
            In windows little more than 6:30-7 hours, no-flash also.

For Linux I have followed this wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IBM_ThinkPad_X120e

Do you have such laptop in possession? I want another Linux guy to test something.
            Not yet. I've one of these on my wish-list and I would have bought one already weren't it for the entire Linux driver mess. No suspend/resume with catalyst and no video acceleration with radeon

Well it's good to see that at least you get decent battery life. I'll probably wait for Intel Cedar Trail netbooks to hit the stores though (not much confidence in ATI, sorry to say).

Comment

Nice data point.

Fortunately the intention isn't to view videos if I go this route. One thing of note is that supposedly AMD drivers will get a major overhaul by the end of the year fixing many issues. Hopefully issues with this hardware.

Originally posted by runrun View Post
              I'm running an e350 (zotac ad10) as an HTPC running openelec nightly eden builds (xbmc, catalyst 11.10) - It eats through 95% of 1080p .mkvs irrelevant of bitrate, 5% play 'perfectly fine' except all movement on the screen is followed by horrendous macroblocking

I knew it was going to be a rough ride for the platform in linux, and any sensible person would have bought an older, cheaper nvidia ION based device...
              I do hope that things improve in the future, before it becomes completely obsolete.

I don't care about game benchmarks, desktop GUI performance or even proprietary/oss drivers (yes, I said it...) - Playing back video is the first thing I'm interested in, ATI are absolutely miles behind in this regard. VDPAU and nvidia binary drivers have worked pretty much flawlessly for as long as I can remember, ATI on linux still remains a disgraceful mess for many users.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                You can watch 720p video fine in VLC. Flash, however, is too slow - neither 10.3 nor 11.0 can play fullscreen video smoothly, *regardless* of the resolution, and everything above 360p stutters.
                Anyone with the dual-core E-350 should benefit from the new Flash Player 11.2 Beta, which introduces support for multi-threaded video decoding. This will not improve video decoding performance on the E-250 as it is a single-core chip. Anyone who has been following the articles on Phoronix will probably know about this already, but I thought I'd mention it just in case. Flash Player 11.2 Beta can be downloaded from Adobe Labs at http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer11-2.html

Comment

Originally posted by madbiologist View Post
                  Anyone with the dual-core E-350 should benefit from the new Flash Player 11.2 Beta, which introduces support for multi-threaded video decoding. This will not improve video decoding performance on the E-250 as it is a single-core chip. Anyone who has been following the articles on Phoronix will probably know about this already, but I thought I'd mention it just in case. Flash Player 11.2 Beta can be downloaded from Adobe Labs at http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer11-2.html
                  My feeling is that flash performs scaling on the CPU rather than the GPU, on both fglrx and radeon. This positively kills performance, even though the CPU itself can decode 720p just fine (as evidenced by VLC and Totem). Threaded decoding will also help a lot, but not if the scaling is left on the CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                    Not yet. I've one of these on my wish-list and I would have bought one already weren't it for the entire Linux driver mess. No suspend/resume with catalyst and no video acceleration with radeon

Well it's good to see that at least you get decent battery life. I'll probably wait for Intel Cedar Trail netbooks to hit the stores though (not much confidence in ATI, sorry to say).
                    I've got the Lenovo Ideapad S205 (basicly same hardware als the X120e) and suspend/resume works with Catalyst.

Comment

Spam

Originally posted by Led54Vale
                      shader acceleration on the radeon
                      Not really needed here.

Comment

Working...
                      X