GeForce 8600 GTS + Composite Effects + OpenGL App = Reset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeForce 8600 GTS + Composite Effects + OpenGL App = Reset

I can't figure out why this is happening, is there anyone else out there using Ubuntu with a GeForce 8600 GTS that might be able to shed some light on this?

The Problem :
    Running any 3D app (such as glxgears or Blender 3D) while using compositor effects (such as Compiz-Fusion or XFCE's composite effects) results in my X server dying(?) and sending me back to the login screen. Happens on both Nvidia drivers 100.14.11 or 100.14.19.

Happened on Feisty, happens on Gutsy. Happens on KDE, Gnome, or Xfce.

I can't figure out, for the life of me, how to fix this.

Any help would be much appreciated.

My girlfriend is having similar issues with her 8800 GTS. Her machine has displayed weird things when X came back as well. We thought it was the power supply, tried a new one and the issues came back, thought it was a heating issue, reapplied thermal paste on the chip set, and it came back. We tested the card in my machine and no errors came up. The only thing left we have to blame is the driver.

Look at your dmesg after you crash does something like this appear?

Code:
    NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 13, 0003 00000000 00005097 00000d00 3f800000 00000004
    NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 30,  L1 -> L0
    It seems to be an error a lot of people are getting and theres a hole thread about it on nvnews.net Some people saying downgrading to 100.14.09 fixes the problem but of course being that we're on Gentoo we updated X and we don't have time to do further testing till the weekend.

Comment

Sorry, reading into both the article you linked to and the article it linked to, that's not even remotely the problem I'm having. Yours is that X in general is broken. Mine is exactly what the topic title states :

Running a 3D app in Compiz resets X. It's that simple. No instabilities other than that.

UPDATE : Yeah, it was a bug in Ubuntu Gutsy. They made some patches to the X server that instituted ABI changes. Fixed up before RC came out, definitely fixed in final disc.
      Last edited by mukiex; 19 October 2007, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X