No announcement yet.

The Linux Kernel Is Still On A Power Binge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darn it. I was hoping a quick fix for this would have made it in before release. It's the only thing holding me back from jumping to Ubuntu 11.04 to see the what the big hoopla is over Unity. Can't spare the loss in run time with my 3+ year old battery on my laptop :-(

Comment

Originally posted by tweak42 View Post
      Darn it. I was hoping a quick fix for this would have made it in before release. It's the only thing holding me back from jumping to Ubuntu 11.04 to see the what the big hoopla is over Unity. Can't spare the loss in run time with my 3+ year old battery on my laptop :-(

My wireless driver is bundled with the natty kernel so I am hoping every day to see that there is a fix for it. I am okay surfing the web but I do not do any multitasking purposely as this is a new dell xps laptop and I don't want to take any chances. I did encode a video earlier with nothing else opened and my fan ran on high immediately. My temps shot up so fast it was crazy. I have never had this issue before in my 3 years running linux.

Comment

Originally posted by z06gal View Post

My wireless driver is bundled with the natty kernel so I am hoping every day to see that there is a fix for it. I am okay surfing the web but I do not do any multitasking purposely as this is a new dell xps laptop and I don't want to take any chances. I did encode a video earlier with nothing else opened and my fan ran on high immediately. My temps shot up so fast it was crazy. I have never had this issue before in my 3 years running linux.
        Regardless of multitasking, high temps would be expected with video encoding since it's one of the apps today that run a cpu full out. The issue here is significant loss of battery life from old kernel to new kernel, because a kernel regression is not letting cpu power back to idle when doing low cpu intensive tasks such as when you are browsing the web. Do you have one of the XPS laptops running Nvidia Optimus?

Comment

Originally posted by tweak42 View Post
          Regardless of multitasking, high temps would be expected with video encoding since it's one of the apps today that run a cpu full out. The issue here is significant loss of battery life from old kernel to new kernel, because a kernel regression is not letting cpu power back to idle when doing low cpu intensive tasks such as when you are browsing the web. Do you have one of the XPS laptops running Nvidia Optimus?

Yes! That is exactly what I have. I quit even using my battery because it lasted no time. I did not realize that though about encoding so I think I'm okay. Thanks

Robin

Comment

Looks like Micheal is back at bisecting it and actually finding stuff. Very, very nice.

Comment

Working...
            X