X1300 performance with fglrx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X1300 performance with fglrx

This question has been on my mind for quite some time since I installed gentoo on my T60 laptop. Apparently I installed the driver correctly, and it does have DRI enabled and "ATI Technologies Inc" in fglrxinfo output. However, the fgl_glxgears output tells me that the best it could do is ~320 FPS.I remembered seeing several posts boasting about ~700 FPS for x1300 and ~600 FPS for even Radeon 9800s. Yeah, I know fgl_glxgears is very rough benchmark, but only half of the score? Come on, it can't be that rough, right? Now, after trying for a whole afternoon dealing with "UseFastTLS", Overlays, "mtrr" etc, I give up. Now I am wondering what's the score for you guys, and what are your xorg.conf settings?

BTW, I uses 8.40.4 driver.

You're going to be limited with what you can/can't do, even with the new drivers once they gel in a couple of revs for mobility chips.

ATI fielded a batch of weak GPUs (Embarrassingly so...) to get their foot in the door on the motherboard market that NVidia already was in.

The x1300 would be one of those parts. The Xpress 200M would be another one of them.

1) UMA will penalize you. 8.40 turned Hypermemory support mostlty back on but it's unstable as all get-out; you will see a speed lift if you're running against the discrete RAM or Discrete+UMA versus just UMA, just FYI.

2) You're using an RV515 derivative, but it's not typically the same as the desktop parts. After the Radeon Mobility 9000 series of parts, they've typically crippled the chip in varying ways to accomplish the thermal profile needed to be a mobile part. This means things like underclocking (Most likely your case...) to stripping things like vertex shader pipelines out (My case with the Xpress 200M, which is a crippled X300SE for all intents and purposes...).

Comment

Thanks for the reply, and...
      Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
      You're going to be limited with what you can/can't do, even with the new drivers once they gel in a couple of revs for mobility chips.

ATI fielded a batch of weak GPUs (Embarrassingly so...) to get their foot in the door on the motherboard market that NVidia already was in.

The x1300 would be one of those parts. The Xpress 200M would be another one of them.
      Motherboard? I thought X1300s are standalone graphics cards...

1) UMA will penalize you. 8.40 turned Hypermemory support mostlty back on but it's unstable as all get-out; you will see a speed lift if you're running against the discrete RAM or Discrete+UMA versus just UMA, just FYI.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      I really don't remember the configuration in BIOS, maybe it does not even exist in T60s... But I'll try.
      2) You're using an RV515 derivative, but it's not typically the same as the desktop parts. After the Radeon Mobility 9000 series of parts, they've typically crippled the chip in varying ways to accomplish the thermal profile needed to be a mobile part. This means things like underclocking (Most likely your case...) to stripping things like vertex shader pipelines out (My case with the Xpress 200M, which is a crippled X300SE for all intents and purposes...).
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      So, basically it means that there's no hope this card can do ~700 FPS? hmmm... I'd better check if they were using Mobility x1300 or not...

How much does it matter for tweaking xorg.conf anyway, cause I really don't see much difference...

Comment

Working...
      X