Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adobe Flash Player Linux x86_64 Update Coming

Phoronix: Adobe Flash Player Linux x86_64 Update Coming

Last week marked the official release of Adobe Flash Player 10.3 for Linux and other supported operating systems. Sadly, however, the Linux release was limited to 32-bit and their x86_64 Flash binary remains living in the "Square" 10.2 land. There also is no Linux video acceleration support outside of NVIDIA's VDPAU interface. To the pleasure of many Linux users, this is changing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i want to know when Adobe will follow through with webm support.
    that will finally allow just one codec to allow html5 video with flash fallback

Comment

Another interesting question is whether they fixed their memcpy usage for 10.4.

Comment

I wish they'd stop trying to re-invent a video player...

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
          i want to know when Adobe will follow through with webm support.
          that will finally allow just one codec to allow html5 video with flash fallback
          I second that. I suspect not until at least flash 12 though.

Comment

64 bit and vaapi?

*faints*

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
              Another interesting question is whether they fixed their memcpy usage for 10.4.
              Oh, that nasty bug in the Flash mp3 decoder that got Linus all up in arms? Nah. I bet that won't be fixed until 2013 or so. Several year turnaround time for Adobe.

A Russian did hack the binary though and get it working, lol

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
                Oh, that nasty bug in the Flash mp3 decoder that got Linus all up in arms? Nah. I bet that won't be fixed until 2013 or so. Several year turnaround time for Adobe.

A Russian did hack the binary though and get it working, lol
                Now maybe that same Russkie can whip up a patch for the new Square update too

Adobe really doesn't care about Linux at all, sadly. If they did we'd have seen Photoshop ported, for example

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                  Now maybe that same Russkie can whip up a patch for the new Square update too
                  I think the script works for all binaries and isn't Flash-specific. I does a search-and-replace for calls to memcpy and replaces them with memmove calls.

Comment

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
                    I wish they'd stop trying to re-invent a video player...
                    Are there other alternatives to streaming DRM/encrypted videos? You might not agree with it, but don't blame the tool.

Since the last 2-3 updates, Flash on Youtube needs a lot less resources than Totem or Vlc (without vdpau) on my Fedora 14. This was certainly unexpected... but it works for me. I'm not avoiding flash videos any more - I do block everything else, though.

Comment

Working...
                    X