Now the tricky one!

Computer: Acer Aspire One 721
    Gfx: Radeon 4200 (RS880)
    Driver: Catalyst 11.5
    System: Slackware63 13.37
    Kernel: 2.6.38.6

vainfo:

libva: libva version 0.32.0-sds2
    Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
    libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
    libva: Trying to open /usr/lib64/va/drivers/fglrx_drv_video.so
    libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
    vainfo: VA API version: 0.32
    vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems XvBA backend for VA-API - 0.7.8
    vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
    VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointVLD
    VAProfileVC1Advanced : VAEntrypointVLD

glxinfo:

name of display: :0
    display: :0 screen: 0
    direct rendering: Yes
    server glx vendor string: ATI
    server glx version string: 1.4
    server glx extensions:
    GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap,
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_OML_swap_method,
    GLX_SGI_make_current_read, GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_SGIS_multisample,
    GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group
    client glx vendor string: ATI
    client glx version string: 1.4

<snip>

xvba-video-0.7.8

mplayer-vaapi latest compiled from Splitted-Desktop Systems website.

Under libva-0.31-1+sds4, mplayer compiles and runs fine, UNTIL the HDTV is plugged in!

Then - regardless of whether it is plugged into the vga or hdmi ports - mplayer crashes:

"MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: preinit_libvo"

Using the latest libva (0.32 sds2) causes it to produce the same error all the time - whether a second monitor is plugged in or not!

Does anyone know the cause and/or cure?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I'm not sure where the problem lies!

Cheers,

--
    Pete

Originally posted by pchristy View Post
    Now the tricky one!

Computer: Acer Aspire One 721
    Gfx: Radeon 4200 (RS880)
    Driver: Catalyst 11.5
    System: Slackware63 13.37
    Kernel: 2.6.38.6

vainfo:

libva: libva version 0.32.0-sds2
    Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
    libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
    libva: Trying to open /usr/lib64/va/drivers/fglrx_drv_video.so
    libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
    vainfo: VA API version: 0.32
    vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems XvBA backend for VA-API - 0.7.8
    vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
    VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointVLD
    VAProfileVC1Advanced : VAEntrypointVLD

glxinfo:

name of display: :0
    display: :0 screen: 0
    direct rendering: Yes
    server glx vendor string: ATI
    server glx version string: 1.4
    server glx extensions:
    GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap,
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_OML_swap_method,
    GLX_SGI_make_current_read, GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_SGIS_multisample,
    GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group
    client glx vendor string: ATI
    client glx version string: 1.4

<snip>

xvba-video-0.7.8

mplayer-vaapi latest compiled from Splitted-Desktop Systems website.

Under libva-0.31-1+sds4, mplayer compiles and runs fine, UNTIL the HDTV is plugged in!

Then - regardless of whether it is plugged into the vga or hdmi ports - mplayer crashes:

"MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: preinit_libvo"

Using the latest libva (0.32 sds2) causes it to produce the same error all the time - whether a second monitor is plugged in or not!

Does anyone know the cause and/or cure?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I'm not sure where the problem lies!

Cheers,

--
    Pete
    Well, I'm having a similar problem as yours...

In my system, it happens when I try to compile a recent mplayer version (whenever I try to compile it using static or shared ffmpeg libs (I personally think the problem is happening due to recent ffmpeg/libav ABI/API changes)). After I lanunch mplayer-vaapi, it gives me the same "signal 11 error" as you... (When will you release a new version of xvba-video / mplayer-vaapi gbeauchesne?)

Btw, are you compiling mplayer-vaapi using the mplayer-vaapi FULL version or are you compiling it using the ./checkout-patch-build.sh script? If you compile the FULL mplayer-vaapi version with the latest sds libs you might be successfull using it... But you'll also get an older version of mplayer...

Cheers

Comment

'Fraid I'm using the FULL version, and it definitely doesn't work with libva-0.32! The best success I've had is with 0.31-sds4.

There doesn't seem to be any way of filing bug reports to the developer (unless anyone here knows better?) I've sent an e-mail to splitted-desktops detailing the issues, but haven't had a reply yet. I'm also asking the question over on the mplayer mailing lists.

The latter is particularly frustrating, because they've had vdpau built in for some time - I use it on my desktop machine! But with laptops, you don't get much choice in the graphics department! The Aspire One was the only that met all my requirements, but it does mean I'm stuck with Ati gfx. I don't have a problem with that - just with the Linux support that goes with them!

--
      Pete

Comment

OK, I've made a little progress here, but it doesn't help a lot - partly because of my ignorance!

Going back five years or so, it appears that it was not uncommon for mplayer to crash in this manner, and one solution was to call it with the %f parameter.

I tried this, and it stopped mplayer crashing when I plugged a second display in! Hurray!

Unfortunately, it also stopped it being able to handle Hi-Def video, so I'm back to square one!

What does %f do? I haven't been able to find it documented anywhere! And what other similar options are there, that might achieve the same without stopping the hi-def capability?

--
        Pete

Comment

I think I might have found a solution to this problem! Well, sort of.... Let me explain....

I'm running Slackware 64 13.37, with the standard KDE desktop (4.6.something from memory). Today, I needed to run something a little less hungry whilst I carried out some video processing, so I booted into Xfce instead. Just for a laugh, I tried mplayer-vaapi under xfce with the external monitors - and IT WORKED PERFECTLY!!! Both the VGA and HDMI connections displayed the full-screen mplayer output of a hi-definition video without any problems whatsoever!

The HDMI was still under-scanning (why do they default it to that???), and I need to work out the mplayer -ao command to get the audio over hdmi, but it worked! VGA was even better, as it doesn't under-scan, and I can use the headphone output for the audio.

The only proviso is that the external monitor needs to be plugged in during the boot process - it won't be recognised if you plug it in once the system is up and running! But it works - and with far fewer issues than under KDE!

Now, can anyone tell me why???

Comment

Xfce doesn't enable desktop effects by default. Just a guess.

Comment

Working...
            X