Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Studio Doesn't Like Unity Or GNOME Shell

Phoronix: Ubuntu Studio Doesn't Like Unity Or GNOME Shell

Ubuntu Studio, an official Ubuntu Linux derivative designed for an optimal multi-media production experience, will not be following its "bigger brother" in using Canonical's Unity Desktop. But the Ubuntu Studio developers don't like the GNOME Shell as part of the GNOME 3.0 experience either, so they have drawn up a new set of plans...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

pulseaudio

The article seems like an unfair summary of the pulseaudio thread. Please read from here on.

Comment

Unity is horrible to use, after upgrading to 11.04 I quickly switched my default UI to Ubuntu classic.

I don't understand change for change sake, the UI in GNOME 2.0 isn't that bad, I haven't tried GNOME 3.0 yet, I hope its not worse too.

Comment

I don't ether

The point is that classic interface is going to be crippled and removed this way or another.
        For example in 11.11, ubuntu switches to gnome3.
        Now the classic gnome-panel I think was ported to GTK3, but it does miss some feature, and it is more g-shell like.

And I don't like to use interface that is in this state.
        So I use kubuntu now, and enjoy best of both worlds (I kept using many GTK apps, they look just fine in KDE).

Comment

Originally posted by KrisWragg View Post
          Unity is horrible to use, after upgrading to 11.04 I quickly switched my default UI to Ubuntu classic.

I don't understand change for change sake, the UI in GNOME 2.0 isn't that bad, I haven't tried GNOME 3.0 yet, I hope its not worse too.
          It is worse, because gnome3 g-shell doesn't work with compiz and instead replaces it.
          That gives both disadvantages (stability) of running 3D apps, and no advantages of beautiful and usable compiz interface.

And before you say that 'beautiful' is 'eye candy', I'll tell you. that 'eye candy' sells.
          Until ubuntu devs grok that, no users will switch to it.

Look how much money vendors put to make their devices look nice and pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by KrisWragg View Post

10.04 is supported on the Desktop until 2013. I'm running FF4 form a PPA. If you don't like Unity it's easier to stay on 10.04, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by locovaca View Post
              10.04 is supported on the Desktop until 2013. I'm running FF4 form a PPA. If you don't like Unity it's easier to stay on 10.04, IMHO.
              You have just answered yourself.
              I don't like staying on outdated software.
              use PPAs, etc, etc,...

Comment

Originally posted by Maxim Levitsky View Post
                I don't like staying on outdated software.
                If you prefer Gnome2 then I think there is some irony in that statement.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                  no he switch to KDE... ...
                  Ah, the original poster had reverted to Gnome "Classic," got confused.

Comment

Originally posted by locovaca View Post
                    If you prefer Gnome2 then I think there is some irony in that statement.
                    What irony?
                    I prefer the Gnome 2 UI.
                    Since its outdated, I don't use it anymore.

Comment

Working...
                    X