Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miguel de Icaza Starts New Company To Drive Mono

Phoronix: Miguel de Icaza Starts New Company To Drive Mono

Two weeks back I broke the news that Attachmate was laying off all of the Mono developers following their recent acquisition of Novell and SUSE. Today this news has been confirmed by the Mono creator himself, Miguel de Icaza, in announcing the formation of a new company to further drive Mono into the new future...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Who's paying the bills? Starting a company and paying employees requires money, afaik they didn't raise money in advance to fund this.
    Mono going on is very important for MS otherwise it can't claim .NET is cross-platform, I don't believe in such coincidences.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      Who's paying the bills? Starting a company and paying employees requires money, afaik they didn't raise money in advance to fund this.
      Mono going on is very important for MS otherwise it can't claim .NET is cross-platform, I don't believe in such coincidences.
      Are you FUDding that MS is sponsoring open-source development - and then trying to spin that in a negative way? (Imagine, MS funding a Free project - the horror!)

Miguel claimed Angel funding.

Comment

This si great news for everyone.
        Fans of Mono can be assured that it continues.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Mono but the Ximian-SUSE situation within Novell resulted in a very schizophrenic openSUSE distribution.
        When you compared the GNOME variant of openSUSE you could see that Mono was thrown in just for the sake of being in, occasionally opting for sub-standard applications just because they are/were based on Mono (eg. in the past it shipped with a Mono-based Torrent client instead of Transmission).
        OTOH the KDE variant of openSUSE doesn't even ship with any Mono applications and since Plasma Desktop is default in openSUSE, Novell's own distribution didn't even install Mono by default.

With Mono officially gone from Attachmate, I hope that the openSUSE GNOME-KDE schizophrenia will end.

Comment

.NET and Moonlight for iOS? Did Apple change their stance toward "foreign" development frameworks and bytecode compilers/interpreters when I wasn't looking? I heard they relaxed the restrictions on scripting and bytecode interpreters somewhat (since many games use embedded script and/or bytecode of some sort), but it didn't sound like it would allow a full-blown runtime.

Comment

Yeah, I hope SuSE concentrates on being a tightly integrated KDE solution that sponsors open-source development in key areas. Fsck all the Microsoft and de Icaza BS.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
              Are you FUDding that MS is sponsoring open-source development - and then trying to spin that in a negative way? (Imagine, MS funding a Free project - the horror!)
              So because Microsoft is sponsoring some free project it has to be positive?

The US government has sponsored many NGOs operating in other countries. These NGOs helped to stage revolutions and overthrow the governments in these countries. Whether this is a good or bad thing depends on your perspective, though somehow I think the US would not appreciate it if a foreign entity would be sponsoring a revolution in the US.

Bottom line is the US government sponsored these NGOs not because it cares about human rights etcetera but for the sole purpose to accomplish regime change. And so it would be foolish to think Microsoft is sponsoring this project because for it's love for Linux or open source. Microsoft has its own agenda that often doesn't align very well with open source.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post

Miguel claimed Angel funding.
                I'm not "FUDding", I'm saying it should be obvious to anyone with more than 2 braincells that MS is interested into Mono not dying. Is it?
                So it shouldn't be a surprise that the alleged angel funding could be linked directly or indirectly to MS, just like it happened in the past when MS (or pretty much any other corporation), had a vested interest into doing stuff that it doesn't want to be directly held accountable or any strings attached whatsoever. Nothing personal, business as usual.

Comment

Is the company named Monosoft?

Comment

This guy is painting such a huge target on his head, it's not even funny. So long as he implements C# 3.0 and after, along with ASP.NET, ADO.NET and Windows Forms, he's fair game for destruction.

Comment

Working...
                    X