Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI HD 2900XT With Open-Source Driver

Phoronix: ATI HD 2900XT With Open-Source Driver

The open-source Avivo driver is currently bound to supporting the ATI R500 GPU family and with efforts now being focused on the RadeonHD driver, this reverse-engineered driver will likely never support the newer GPUs. However, the RadeonHD driver that was pushed out into the public a few hours ago does support the R600 series. This open-source support does include the flagship ATI Radeon HD 2900XT graphics card. Inside our labs we tried out the Radeon HD 2900XT with the RadeonHD driver on Fedora 7 and it's certainly great to see this progress. The driver still has a climbing road a head, but this driver is already a leap in the right direction.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

merge and state on other systems

Hello!

I wonder if this driver will be mergeded with the older drivers to some kind of unified radeon driver, so that the older cards will also profit from the development of the new driver (well, at least the common parts).

BTW. What's the state of free radeon drivers on other platforms, e.g. FreeBSD and Solaris?

Ciao,

Olaf

Comment

hi, is there a R500(mobility radeon x1600) support in this driver(now, I know in future it will be supported)?

Comment

Originally posted by danij3l View Post
        hi, is there a R500(mobility radeon x1600) support in this driver(now, I know in future it will be supported)?
        Yes, although card/board specific support still will need to be added. Please contact us on [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
          Hello!

I wonder if this driver will be mergeded with the older drivers to some kind of unified radeon driver, so that the older cards will also profit from the development of the new driver (well, at least the common parts).

BTW. What's the state of free radeon drivers on other platforms, e.g. FreeBSD and Solaris?

Ciao,

Olaf
          I am the person who cleaned up ATIProbe in the ati/atimisc module of xf86-video-ati, nobody else dared to tackle this task. I know the horrors of -ati and i do not want this fresh new code to turn into another frankensteinian monster

Comment

Working...
          X