Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing The RadeonHD Linux Driver

Phoronix: Introducing The RadeonHD Linux Driver

Not only is AMD providing the open-source community with their ATI GPU specifications, but they have also been partnering with Novell on the development of a new open-source display driver. We've been telling you about AMD's open-source work all month, and today the new driver is finally available for download. It is still very much a work in progress and isn't much further along than the open-source R500 Avivo driver. However, this new driver does support the Radeon HD 2000 (R600) family. This new X.Org driver is called RadeonHD and in this article we have some initial information to share with additional articles coming later in the day.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I can't find it on freedesktop's gitweb, but I wouldn't test it anyway. Great step for the AMD/ATI community!

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      I can't find it on freedesktop's gitweb, but I wouldn't test it anyway. Great step for the AMD/ATI community!
      Some information was miscommunicated to me and the article got posted a bit too early The driver I imagine will be uploaded within the hour.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

let's hope it gets mirrored git repository somewhere else as well.

gitweb.fd.o is almost "famous" for its "stability" and "uptime" :S
        especially when i want to pull from the most interesting (for me) git repositories.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
          let's hope it gets mirrored git repository somewhere else as well.

gitweb.fd.o is almost "famous" for its "stability" and "uptime" :S
          especially when i want to pull from the most interesting (for me) git repositories.
          ...thanks to Phoronix' readers

Comment

What's the big rush if it's no further along than the AVIVO driver, and the docs contain no firmware, or 2D acceleration infos...

Comment

Bet that's the result of this somewhat hyped media attention for the driver. Probably well deserved .. But it brings with some bandwidth.

I've looked through the code, and at first gance I'm pretty impressed looks like the code was designed and looks pretty clean and readable.

Can't wait to grab some much needed sleep and go through more of the code.

Even though it's not "more functional yet" the radeonhd driver already seems to have twice the lines of code, than avivo. Which makes me hopeful for the future ;-)

Quite a lot of trailing whitespace though :P :P

Comment

...thanks to Phoronix' readers
                it happens even where there are no big news. just some new commits to e.g. r300 driver, or some mesa updates.

chance that the server goes down at least once a week is somewhere around 70%

Comment

Non-functioning PCI ID

The RadeonHD driver tells me that:

This hardware is marked as EXPERIMENTAL.
                  It could be harmful to try to use this driver on this card.
                  To help rectify this, please send your X log to MAILINGLIST.

Two questions:
                  1. What's the mailing list I should send my log to?
                  2. Would it be "harmful" to add my PCI ID (chip 1002,7145 card 1028,2003 - Mobility Radeon X1400) to rhd_id.c and recompile? This is what I did for the Avivo driver, and it worked okay... could my hardware actually be damaged by doing this with the RadeonHD driver?

Comment

Working...
                  X