Abit NF-M2 nView and powernow-k8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abit NF-M2 nView and powernow-k8

Does anyone have Cool'n'Quiet/powernow working on a dual-core system with the Abit nf-m2 nview?

I have this in dmesg:
    Code:
    powernow-k8: Found 2 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ processors (version 2.00.00)
    powernow-k8: MP systems not supported by PSB BIOS structure
    Is there an easy fix for this, or do I need to edit the DSDT as described here?

Originally posted by finance_coder View Post
    Does anyone have Cool'n'Quiet/powernow working on a dual-core system with the Abit nf-m2 nview?

I have this in dmesg:
    Code:
    powernow-k8: Found 2 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ processors (version 2.00.00)
    Is there an easy fix for this, or do I need to edit the DSDT as described here?
    In the link where s939 cups.
    And I have a NF-M2 NView but I also see no chance to fix this ugly error with this board.
    Many others have the same problems with other boards but same chipsets.

Comment

I have this board and see no chance for a fix.
      Many other people have the same chipset but different boards.

u are not the only one with this problem

Comment

Originally posted by posbich View Post
        I have this board and see no chance for a fix.
        Many other people have the same chipset but different boards.

u are not the only one with this problem
        I forgot to mention...

I got it working by compiling the power management stuff directly into the kernel instead of as a module.

Also make sure Cool'n'Quiet is enabled in your BIOS.

Comment

Sorry for my double post.

The most time it works fine. But in different chases the system hangs up. Someday after 30 minutes 100% cpu load, someday after 16 hours hard cpu work.

Comment

Sorry for my double post.

The most time it works fine. But in different chases the system hangs up. Someday after 30 minutes 100% cpu load, someday after 16 hours hard cpu work.
            So do you have the same board?

Just for clarity, I have the Abit NF-M2 nView, with the latest BIOS. I couldn't get powernow to work until I built the functionality directly into the kernel (versus as a module).

So far, I've had no hard lockups, but some random flaky behavior. This is on a MythTV box, and there's a lot going on, so I can't tell if the problems are Cool'n'Quiet or something else.

Comment

Yes I have the same board with the .14 bios.
              I try it as module or compiled in the kernel. Same result.
              Now i wanna try the new abit board with 7025/50 chipset and hope that it will works.

Comment

Yes I have the same board with the .14 bios.
                I try it as module or compiled in the kernel. Same result.
                Now i wanna try the new abit board with 7025/50 chipset and hope that it will works.
                Just out of curiosity, do you have links to other peoples' reports of similar problem with this motherboard?

Anyway, I too am thinking about switching. But I'm looking at the ASRock NF7G-HDready motherboard, actually reviewed here on Phoronix. I like this board because it has a serial port, firewire, undervolting capability and the 7050 chipset. Note that the 7050 chipset has much lower power consumption than the 6150 (always a win for heat an noise in a MythTV setup).

Good luck!

Comment

Not the same board but same chipsets.
                  Frequently while using Ubuntu 7.04 in Gnome with the NVidia Restricted Driver enabled I get complete system lockups requiring a hard-reboot. When this happens the screen becomes mostly white with a random scrambled pattern of mostly-black lines. This happens even more frequently if Beryl or Compiz are enabled, but I have had it happen many times even when neither of these are running. There does not appear to be any specific action that is causing this behavior. It happened once while sur...

There its Ubuntu. I used Gentoo and used power... as module and compiled it into the kernel. No effects.

P.S. the board design of the asrock is just ugly ... the power plug in the middle of the board ...
                  Last edited by posbich; 03 October 2007, 11:34 PM.

Comment

You can forget LRM from Ubuntu, all GFX drivers are outdated. If you remove the LRM things you could use a script to install the latest ones...

Comment

Working...
                    X