GNU GRUB 1.99 Released; So Close To Version 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
    And for god's sake we need a full Emacs editor for editing the boot line.
    Eight Megabytes And we won't have enough room voor Constant Swapping!

Comment

Emacs in bios, that would be a full OS just like splashtop, complete with irc and browsing :P

Comment

Originally posted by stan View Post
        A very important part of Grub2 is the ability to read and boot off USB. This allows Coreboot and old computers whose BIOSes can't read USBs to boot.
        Also grub 1/legacy can do that. I have old laptops which have no BIOS options to boot from USB, and I have been using legacy grub for years to boot USB sticks. Or are you talking about something else? I suppose in my example, the BIOS has /some/ USB support. Otherwise grub would have to talk to different USB host controllers and do the whole USB transfer at very low level. Surely not even grub 2 is gonna do that?

Comment

Originally posted by tormod View Post
          Also grub 1/legacy can do that. I have old laptops which have no BIOS options to boot from USB, and I have been using legacy grub for years to boot USB sticks. Or are you talking about something else? I suppose in my example, the BIOS has /some/ USB support. Otherwise grub would have to talk to different USB host controllers and do the whole USB transfer at very low level. Surely not even grub 2 is gonna do that?
          Or if you have just Windows and no Grub you can use a Super Grub CD to boot the stick

Comment

Working...
          X