VMware's Gallium3D Driver For Virtualization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    I'm not going to watch the video, but why is the idea crazy? I do it. I run about 12 VMs here where I test my stuff. And a lot of people do the same.
    Yeah, and are you working on triple A game titles that require features that the emulated video hardware doesn't have? Of course not.

Comment

Why the heck does that even matter? People not working on multi-million dollar titles don't develop software and don't need VMs capable of accelerated OpenGL? People who run Windows or OS X shouldn't get accelerated graphics when they run Linux inside a VM? And last but not least, what the heck is your point? "I don't need it, therefore no one else does"?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        Why the heck does that even matter? People not working on multi-million dollar titles don't develop software and don't need VMs capable of accelerated OpenGL? People who run Windows or OS X shouldn't get accelerated graphics when they run Linux inside a VM? And last but not least, what the heck is your point? "I don't need it, therefore no one else does"?
        Are you purposefully being obtuse or just ignorant of how most VM's lack the functionality to do what suggest?

VMWare, VirtualBox, and QEMU do not provide access to the host's videocard, they emulate a low end card that no sane game developer is going to target. To be blunt: You're not going to test your game in an environment that will never support the features that it requires to run.

Comment

Why are you stuck with game development? Why does it have to be only games that can use this? I could be developing a video player that uses OpenGL to render the video. Or even with games, I could be writing a 2D game that uses OpenGL textures. Or I could be writing a Compiz or KDE effect. Or I would like to see how my software behaves in a composited environment. Or, as I already mentioned, I am a Mac/Windows user who wants to use Linux in a VM and have a nice desktop experience with it.

Comment

Oh, btw, I run Windows 7 in a VM under Linux, and I can run Direct3D games in it. Aero works too. Fusion on the Mac is quite popular because of this.

Comment

Working...
            X