Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.3.20 Has Arrived

Phoronix: Wine 1.3.20 Has Arrived

Wine 1.3.20 has been released as the latest bi-weekly Wine development snapshot...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What do you mean it's not as exciting?.. Mouse clipping support! That finally solves the input problem! That means UT3 and countless other Unreal Engine games now work on Linux through Wine perfectly!

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      What do you mean it's not as exciting?.. Mouse clipping support! That finally solves the input problem! That means UT3 and countless other Unreal Engine games now work on Linux through Wine perfectly!
      [rant]
      Hint: Michael doesn't really have a clue since he apparently ignores each of my remarks that what he talks about as "Direct3D" improvements aren't really D3D improvements and thus not exciting at all (for anyone who knows how to configure Wine properly).
      [/rant]

Comment

In fact, this Wine release is more important than Direct3D improvements

Wine 1.3.20 fixes mouse clipping issues, which generally means that it should be now unnecessary to set MouseWarpOverride registry key to "force". I've been waiting about 4 years for this. I checked Project Nomads as soon as I updated Wine this morning. Mouse now works BOTH in menu and in game, which effectively makes it another Platinum game. Same should be about Crysis, Unreal Engine games and plenty of others.

Comment

One man's fix... WoW's mouse is now broken

Originally posted by Reloaded211 View Post
          Wine 1.3.20 fixes mouse clipping issues...
          Ironically, the mouse support in World of Warcraft is broken in 1.3.20. About 3 days ago, the mouse started clicking a point several inches to the left of the cursor?! (Using Wine from git.)

I tried rotating the in-game "camera" angle using the mouse this morning, but was flung into a (seemingly) random direction instead. So it's back to 1.3.18 for me.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
            About 3 days ago, the mouse started clicking a point several inches to the left of the cursor?! (Using Wine from git.)
            For me, selecting multiple units in Warcraft 3 was broken with previous release, but now it works as expected. Fingers crossed that it will stay that way

That's just the way it is - along with improvements inevitably comes regressions which in turn will be corrected someday.

Comment

While 1.3.20 does seem to fix the mouse issues in some games it's created new issues with The Witcher (Aurora Engine) and apparently some Source Engine games (I can only attest to The Witcher personally). It makes the mouse "jump" in The Witcher so when you rotate the camera it will sometimes jump back to a previous position probably as the pointer is clipping back to the center of the screen. Seeing as that's the game I'm currently playing I reverted back to 1.3.19 for the time being.

Still I'm happy with progress being made in this area and these types of little regressions were bound to happen along the way. I'm confident that the wine folks are close to finally putting this mouse clipping issue that's been plaguing us for so long to rest.

Comment

And now Bug 6971 is officially marked as fixed! Well, I'm not going back to Windows any time soon, it seems

And yes, there is the jumping pointer issue, but it's a different bug altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by sirdilznik View Post
                  While 1.3.20 does seem to fix the mouse issues in some games it's created new issues with The Witcher (Aurora Engine) and apparently some Source Engine games (I can only attest to The Witcher personally). It makes the mouse "jump" in The Witcher so when you rotate the camera it will sometimes jump back to a previous position probably as the pointer is clipping back to the center of the screen. Seeing as that's the game I'm currently playing I reverted back to 1.3.19 for the time being.
                  The Witcher works fine when set to virtual desktop mode. Also likely works properly if "Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen windows" is enabled (when using full screen mode)

Comment

Actually, as always with WINE, it's still a case of winners and losers...

WINE 1.3.20 breaks a lot of games. The latest WINE Git master fixes some of the issues. For example Crysis now runs (with only the memory leak patch), SWAT 4 runs OK but Deus Ex 1 (which used to run fine) doesn't... Apparently the root of the problem is something to do with the X-Server API.

It's frustrating because the mouse input problem has been hanging around for years!

Comment

Working...
                    X