Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve going to officially support Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve going to officially support Linux?

Hiho!
    Just found a nice link at holarse.de:
    http://www.valvesoftware.com/job-SenSoftEngineer.html

In short: It is a job offer for a senior software engineer that would be responsible for "Port Windows-based games to the Linux platform." and "Manage the operation of large clusters of machines running both Windows and Linux in a highly available system.". So is Valve finally gonna admire that there is a gaming market on Linux? Or are they only trying to get their server work natively on Linux, too?

Looks like time for some speculation has come...

well maybe there will be some use of my steam accounts after all.

they're laying around useless recently.

Comment

ID have always been the champion of linux gaming, and i have always bought their products regardless of my ambivalence towards mindless shooters..

now that ID have decided that linux is not important for their gaming future (tech5), I will be delighted to support Valve if they choose to take up the position of figurehead of linux gaming.

Comment

If Valve starts to port that would be nice. My only issue with that is though that we have plenty of shooters. I was hoping for a company with a game selection more like timegatestudios that do RTS style.
        We don't have many native RTS games that are commercial. Kohan: Immortal Soverigns by timegate is one but support was dropped rather early and none of there sequals came to linux.

I will buy any game valve ports none the less. As I collect linux games. Only 10 left to go unless more come out this year like I am expecting, like Savage: A Tortured Soul, UT3 and I think if I recall 1 or 2 others, I'd have to look them up but am feeling lazy right now.

So Valve...
        Bring the games to linux and we will buy them. If not for the fact they came out for linux but because it seems people actually like your games.

Comment

If it's true, this will allow to make the Linux (gamimg) community much, much bigger. It would be the bomb of a news. I could play my favourite HL2Mod, finally. fglrx 8.41.7 and under don't even support DX8 or DX9 using Wine with Source Engine-based games.

Comment

Anyone remember those competitive trade-ins where they'd just take whatever competing product you had in trade for what a company might be selling...

Then they'd smash what you traded in, just to keep it off of the market?

Maybe they just want to keep all the people willing and able to do Linux game programming from working on linux game programming, by hiring them.

Comment

Originally posted by R3MF View Post
              now that ID have decided that linux is not important for their gaming future (tech5), I will be delighted to support Valve if they choose to take up the position of figurehead of linux gaming.
              Have they? They never once indicated that Linux was officially supported until the official betas started for ANY of their previous games. I am not going to suppose either way, but it bothers me a bit to see people assuming that they're NOT because they're not saying anything, using all kinds of circular logic to justify the statements made.

You don't know WHAT any studio is going to do/not do until they make OFFICAL statements to that line of action.

That's not to say it's not fun trying to second guess them- just don't be making blanket statements like "They've given
              up on us" when you have NOTHING in hand to actually PROVE it. It's noise we all don't need- and it'll add to any considerations that they might have to actually NOT doing things.
              Last edited by Svartalf; 13 September 2007, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Carmack himself said, Linux wasn't that important to him anymore. According to a german IT-site he was one of the major driving forces in porting to Linux. But that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

I'd consider buying HL2 and the extensions, if they decide to take that giant step towards Linux-Gaming.

Comment

This could be a very big thing, providing it's their current/future AAA titles.

Even if it's not, it'll still have a positive effect. This news is only good news!

Comment

Yeas!!! No more waiting for Wine to fix problems after Steam updates. I guess the Wine people have been bugging Valve so much that they have seen the light.

I wonder if its gonna be a Wine based solution like Google did with Picasa or actually making games native.

Really great news!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X