No announcement yet.

Thunderbird As The Ubuntu E-Mail Client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I usually prefer multiplattform solutions, thats why Kanotix usuaylly shipped with the rebranded Thunderbird called Icedove. Somehow i think U is copying Kanotix a bit as it moved away from 700 mb iso images over 1 year ago. Maybe they will say that they want to create a hybrid iso image, just about 2 years later than the rest...

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
      Outlook sucks, and Evolution was designed to mimic that sucktitude.
      Actually, Outlook is a mildly useful PIM with an integrated email client, whereas evolution is a meta joke close to Andy Kaufman's life, the rpm for the Windows installer is proof of the joke.

Comment

I just want an email client with a conversation view ala gmail. Not a tree view ala Evolution/Thunderbird/Opera but a proper thread view out of the box.

Until then, I'll keep using Gmail. It's ridiculous how an HTML/Javascript web application can provide a better (and faster) user interface than a fully-fledged, dozen-megabyte-large desktop application.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
          I just want an email client with a conversation view ala gmail. Not a tree view ala Evolution/Thunderbird/Opera but a proper thread view out of the box.

Until then, I'll keep using Gmail. It's ridiculous how an HTML/Javascript web application can provide a better (and faster) user interface than a fully-fledged, dozen-megabyte-large desktop application.
          I'll second that, of course you can switch the view to thread view though, but it doesn't show threads with new updates as a single new email until you click on them like Gmail does.

I'm sure someone else has feature requested it for Thunderbird already no doubt..

Comment

I'll second that, of course you can switch the view to thread view though, but it doesn't show threads with new updates as a single new email until you click on them like Gmail does.

I'm sure someone else has feature requested it for Thunderbird already no doubt..
            Thunderbird/Evolution/OperaMail all have feature requests for this but they don't appear to be interested in the feature. There was a reply on Evolution that pretty much said "we have a thread view, use that instead". Of course, by "thread view" they mean a ridiculous tree-based sorting of email subjects that is all but useless. Following mailing lists with lots of traffic is simply painful that way.

Comment

Thunderbird/Evolution/OperaMail all have feature requests for this but they don't appear to be interested in the feature. There was a reply on Evolution that pretty much said "we have a thread view, use that instead". Of course, by "thread view" they mean a ridiculous tree-based sorting of email subjects that is all but useless. Following mailing lists with lots of traffic is simply painful that way.
              Yep, and it would be easy to implement, you just collapse the threads down in the email selection pane, and show each email one after the other in the viewing pane, with all the similar lines between emails removed (if and only if the entire block appears before or after the new content).

Comment

About time...

Haha, about time... Too bad i already switched to Xubuntu, and guess what, Thunderbird is there by default; and so is gimp and pidgin...

Kanotix is another Debian derivate, which is why it uses icedove. As you might remember, the Debian project likes to apply security patches when problem arises instead of downloading a newer version; this clashes against Mozilla's policy which forced them to abandon name and logo (the programs are only free without names and logo).

As for Microsoft Exchange, i think its about time to get rid of that on servers, of course you can always install Evolution. I have never needed to connect to Exchange in the workplace where standard IMAP is used.

The next good thing Ubuntu should do is get rid of Mono. Again, Xubuntu is free of it, but i used to remove it back then. Useless junk.

Comment

Exchange support

To those of you whining about a lack of Exchange support, try Davmail:

I use it to access my University's email server via Claws Mail with no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by maggot_brain View Post
                    To those of you whining about a lack of Exchange support, try Davmail:

I use it to access my University's email server via Claws Mail with no issues.
                    It works well, though I'm more interested in getting those companies who are still using Exchange to switch over to something else, something using open standards. Zimbra, Zarafa, there are several options out there...

Comment

Thunderbird/Evolution/OperaMail all have feature requests for this but they don't appear to be interested in the feature. There was a reply on Evolution that pretty much said "we have a thread view, use that instead" [...]
                      Yep, and it would be easy to implement, you just collapse the threads down in the email selection pane, and show each email one after the other in the viewing pane, with all the similar lines between emails removed (if and only if the entire block appears before or after the new content).
                      Why don't you implement it then?

Comment

Working...
                      X