Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Btrfs Support For Ubuntu's Update Manager

Phoronix: Btrfs Support For Ubuntu's Update Manager

Eventually we will see Ubuntu Linux deploy Btrfs as the default file-system. While we will likely not see the switch from EXT4 to Btrfs with Ubuntu 11.10, there is work underway on Btrfs integration support into Ubuntu's Update Manager...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

this is just awesome news.

go butter !

Comment

Great news! Anyone know if there's any release schedule yet for btrfs on RedHat Enterprise Linux?

Comment

Buggy FS

There's some strange bug with dpkg that makes BTRFS a horrible failure on Linux systems using it. It takes for freaking ever doing system updates and installing software if you choose a BTRFS FS. See bug here:

Installation and upgrades on btrfs are *extremely* slow. This is because dpkg makes extensive fsync() calls to make sure that a power loss in the middle of an operation does not leave the system in a broken state. These calls have a significant performance penalty on other filesystems ( such as ext[234] ), but on btrfs, the penalty is multiple orders of magnitude. As a workaround, you can use the eatmydata package/command around dpkg/apt-get to disable the fsync() calls and restore good pe...

Comment

I'm only waiting for an fsck tool to use btrfs. It is important to have just in case, even if the fs is never supposed to need it. Snapshots are cute, but I'm really more interested in the other features, such as compression, SSD mode, online defrag, object mirror/stripping, space efficiency, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis3 View Post
            I'm only waiting for an fsck tool to use btrfs. It is important to have just in case, even if the fs is never supposed to need it. Snapshots are cute, but I'm really more interested in the other features, such as compression, SSD mode, online defrag, object mirror/stripping, space efficiency, etc.
            The way I understood it, BTRFS was supposed to duplicate all data of a volume in the background until I'm assuming more than 50% of that volume was used, then you'd no longer have that data redundancy there. In any case, it's supposed to be a safer place to keep your data than the other FSes, so that's my main interest, though the built-in RAID and other features are definitely awesome.

Comment

Working...
            X