Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Someone with ATIIXP using noapic experiencing 2D slow 8.41.7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone with ATIIXP using noapic experiencing 2D slow 8.41.7?

Hello, first and congrats for this superb website and the excellent work you guys do with the benchmarks, test and information about linux.

I have a laptop with ubuntu 7.04 (fujitsu l1310g), bundled with ATIIXP chipset, and Ati Radeon X200M (yes, that card....)

To not lost the usb connections after a time, i have to boot the kernel with noapic. With the driver 8.38.8 that comes with ubuntu by default i don't have problems with normal 2D usage, but after lots of tests, and finally install the latest 8.41.7 (uau, even for this card the performance gain is great, can't wait for 8.42..). But if I use the option noapic, i experience some 2D slowness, jark mouse movements, windows, etc etc.

If i don't use noapic, everything works great but usb disconnects after a time.

Any of you have the same problem? I'm getting the latest release of ubuntu 7.10 (alpha version) to test the laptop with a newer kernel version to see.

Thanks for your reply.

Why don't you update the kernel?

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

Well, updating the kernel could give some "side effects" if i don't do it right, and i don't mess with the kernel since RedHat 7.

Do you know what would be the option should i enable in the kernel for this? Does a new version or what version resolves this problem?

Anyway, i'm trying with the new ubuntu 7.10 that comes with a new kernel to see if this one resolves it.

The problem is a combination with bios, kernel and ati drivers, because right now, with 8.34.8 and the actual kernel with noapic doesn't cause any problem, but from this version to the latest 8.41.7 has the issue.

I'll post any other solution for this, because it's acommon one as I seen on the net.

Comment

Working...
      X