Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Releases 900+ Pages Of GPU Specs

Phoronix: AMD Releases 900+ Pages Of GPU Specs

Ending off the X Developer Summit this year, Matthew Tippett handed off ATI's GPU specifications to David Airlie on a CD (as reported by Daniel Stone). However, the specifications are also now available on the Internet! At http://www.x.org/docs/AMD/ is the location of the documentation where you can freely download the files.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, that's some dry reading...

Comment

Wow, AMD IS delivering... interesting, most interesting indeed!

Comment

nice. can't wait to get my hands on the driver. the new fglrx instantly dissapointed me - it might be new and "magical", but it still has all the shortcomings of a binary driver.

i'll keep waiting for this one instead.

/me goes to look at the specs :]

Comment

That's nice... Now we can hope for a decent driver...

I haven't tried 8.41 as I left my notebook at home today.

Will probably wait for 8.42 with AIGLX support and more bug(fixes hopefully).

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf
            I would be tickled beyond words for opened sources, but that's NOT likely.
            Tickled enough, Svartalf?

Comment

I just registered to say I love you
              I just registered to say how much I care
              And I mean it from the bottom of my heart

Comment

Are these documents the complete specs that a programmer would need to implement good quality free drivers? Are they real? Do they work?

Can I really buy ATI hardware now and expect free drivers for it reasonably soon, or is there going to be a post in two weeks saying "ATI Specs Incomplete / Useless"?

Comment

Originally posted by Chandon View Post
                  Are these documents the complete specs that a programmer would need to implement good quality free drivers? Are they real? Do they work?

Can I really buy ATI hardware now and expect free drivers for it reasonably soon, or is there going to be a post in two weeks saying "ATI Specs Incomplete / Useless"?
                  These specs document the 2D portion of the RV630 and M56. More documents will be out in the coming days and weeks (including the 3D portion).

The first OSS driver will be released is Monday.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Alas a working quality driver (full driver) will probably be still at least six moths off.

Comment

Working...
                    X