Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 8.41.7 Display Driver Released -- The Holy Crap Edition!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by opera View Post
    Great. People are having huge problems. No 2.6.23, no AIGLX.

I said it would suck, and it sucked. I might not even download it... ATI did it again. Michael did it again.
    Could you just stop spreading so much never-to-be-fulfilled BS?

I didn't STFU because I had a very strong feeling I would be right. And obviously I was.
    Now you hail me, bitch

One more month. One more bugfix? Cause from what I can see on the notes of .41, the "Known Issues"-list has basically not stopped growing.

Could you who haven't understood it yet, please get this straight: ATI SUCKS UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE.

And no proof yet. Next month? Don't count on it. But count on Michael, he da man!

EDIT:
    By the way... Oktoberfest, Michael? "Down-right failure" seems more right... But but..

You da man Michael, you da man!
    I understand your bitterness, but why, then, if you know/knew of the situation, did you buy an ATI product? Why do you have to bash them?

I got tired and frustrated with ATI products back in 2004, I simply changed my video card, and all is "well" now, but I certainly don't have to bash ATI about it.

It's been a known fact for at least 4 years now (yes, since 2003) that ATI+Linux don't mix well together, so I ask again, why linger so long with a product you know may and/or will cause you trouble to begin with?

About the driver, I hope people will start posting performance figures in a bit, not only glxgears or fgl_glxgears, please, but other 3D stuff.

BTW, nowhere did we see in neither Michael's articles, nor other notes, that the 8.41 driver magically "fixed" issues (such as XV and others), even if it is based off a totally new code base. Hopefully, being this a NEW code, things will evolve faster and things will actually get fixed... In the mean time, though, I'll keep my eyes open and watch these new drivers evolution.

Comment

running just fine

xpress 200M

13% boost compared to previous release (some garbage running glxgears)

one more month to go!

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
        I understand your bitterness, but why, then, if you know/knew of the situation, did you buy an ATI product? Why do you have to bash them?

I got tired and frustrated with ATI products back in 2004, I simply changed my video card, and all is "well" now, but I certainly don't have to bash ATI about it.
        I own a laptop. If I could switch my graphic hardware so easily, I would.

Comment

As has been stated a number of times now, the fglrx 8.41 release is designed specifically for the R600 series. If you try this new driver with a R600 graphics cards, those common bugs shouldn't be there. In the coming releases AMD will fix these bugs for the previous generations. AMD is trying to make it very clear that this release is ONLY intended for R600 owners.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

just wish i could get these things to install... :/

Comment

So far no major issues, Warsow which I thought i'd check does not load and now complains of not enough Video memory. Also if you use Cedega you may find you have to disable pixel shaders, at least I did or the image was upside down and going a little crazy!

Will try to find my UT2004 disk and try that out later.

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
                BTW, nowhere did we see in neither Michael's articles, nor other notes, that the 8.41 driver magically "fixed" issues (such as XV and others), even if it is based off a totally new code base.
                If the codebase is new, how comes that there are exact the same bugs in it?

Comment

Originally posted by hoenny View Post
                  what is that?
                  doesn't build pkg in Fedora 7 x86_64.
                  8.40.4 is ok! but, 8.41.7 is fail.

Code:
                  Verifying archive integrity... All good.
                  Uncompressing ATI Proprietary Linux Driver-8.41.7...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
                  ==================================================
                   ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager 
                  ==================================================
                  Generating package: Fedora/F7
                  Package build failed!
                  Package build utility output:
                  Building target platforms: x86_64
                  Building for target x86_64
                  bla~ bla~ ....
                  What happens when you try to install it? What does the end of the output say?
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    As has been stated a number of times now, the fglrx 8.41 release is designed specifically for the R600 series. If you try this new driver with a R600 graphics cards, those common bugs shouldn't be there. In the coming releases AMD will fix these bugs for the previous generations. AMD is trying to make it very clear that this release is ONLY intended for R600 owners.
                    Aye, should have read the release notes more carefully, but you have to understand how frustrating it is for us, the users, who've waited so long for a decent stable driver. On the plus side though, the fgl_glxgears demo went from 60 fps to 620fps !

Comment

Originally posted by Async View Post
                      just wish i could get these things to install... :/
                      What install problem are you having?
                      Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                      X