Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 8.41.7 Display Driver Released -- The Holy Crap Edition!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, it's only 6 months wait. xD
    I've been using ATI since the Rage 128 Pro days, so if I have to wait another 6 months for a stable, good open source driver, it's a drop in the bucket ^^

Comment

• as a side note, wanted to ad, that this driver also break openoffice on my _64 platform. as soon as i roll back driver openoffice functioning just fine.

Comment

• What do you mean? ATI cards run an excellent virtual 1200x000 screen (VESA) as is. However, I would like for this driver to work; I can blame myself for picking Fedora 8 test 2 (libstdc++.so.6 and no .5 for such things as Opera and these ATI drivers, yet!) Anyone know how to fake it? Load libstdc++ 5 source from Fedora 7 and recompile the kernel and libc?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunvil VonBerUrlindt View Post
          I can blame myself for picking Fedora 8 test 2 (libstdc++.so.6 and no .5 for such things as Opera and these ATI drivers, yet!) Anyone know how to fake it? Load libstdc++ 5 source from Fedora 7 and recompile the kernel and libc?
          I do not use Fedora, but look for a package named libstdc++-v3. No need to recompile anything after installing that one. But as you seem to run at 64-Bit you might want to have a look at this thread, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunvil VonBerUrlindt View Post
            What do you mean? ATI cards run an excellent virtual 1200x000 screen (VESA) as is. However, I would like for this driver to work; I can blame myself for picking Fedora 8 test 2 (libstdc++.so.6 and no .5 for such things as Opera and these ATI drivers, yet!) Anyone know how to fake it? Load libstdc++ 5 source from Fedora 7 and recompile the kernel and libc?
            You need to install compat-libstdc++, search for it with Pirut or yum.

Comment

• since October is coming fast, any inside information about the new driver and aiglx?

Comment

• Originally posted by zkyez View Post
                since October is coming fast, any inside information about the new driver and aiglx?
                I think that Michael will be very careful with announcements after the "fiasco" with the last version of the driver

Comment

• See: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5422 for 8.42 explanation
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• ATI Driver with Fedora 7 : compatibility problems

Hi,

I'm new on this forum (and also quite new to Linux).

I have a problem with my display and I looking for help.

My problem = for a particular application, ANSYS-CFX software, the screen looks fuzzy. There are extra lines everywhere. I can't work.
                    For everything else, it's Ok. But I want this application to work properly.

Is there some other driver that can effectively replace the ATI driver ?
                    Any Linux default driver ?
                    My /etc/X11/xorg.conf file has a line with

Section "Device"
                    Identifier "Videocard0"
                    Driver "fglrx"
                    Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
                    Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
                    EndSection

I saw other people running with radeon replacing fglrx and it works. How can I do that ?

Here are some of my systems info
                    --------------------------------------
                    Laptop : IBM ThinkPad T60
                    Linux Fedora 7
                    graphic card : ATI X1400

driver = fglrx 8.40.4

Installation with rpm
                    > rpm -qa | grep -i xorg-x11-drv
                    > xorg-x11-drv-fglrx-8.40.4-2.lvn7
                    ----------------------------------------

Eric

Comment

• Radeon can't replace fglrx for the R500/X1000 series. You have an X1400. The RadeonHD driver will be the open-source version, however, it's not ready for production usage yet.
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X