Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 8.41.7 Display Driver Released -- The Holy Crap Edition!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpman View Post
    15fps from a driver, yes, thats phenomenal.
    It just shows how much worse (in terms of 3D performance) the older codebase was.

Comment

• Originally posted by zittergie View Post
      All you whiners, please download the correct driver @ http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html.
      and choose youre correct graphics card.

You will see that if you don't own an ATI HD 2x00 series that you wont get 8.41 but 8.40 that works fine for the most of us. When, and only when we see 8.41 for the other cards can can start to complain.

It is completely normal that when using an incorrect driver you get unpredictable results.

I'm using a Mobility X700 with the AMD 8.37 (on kUbuntu), and everything that should work, works fine.
      Nonetheless i'm looking out for the new driver esp. 8.42 for Compiz.

'BE the difference that makes a difference' - JEWEL
      did you see my video few post back. Do you have any problems like that? Flickering with konqueror while file browsing?

For me it is same with 8.37 - 8.41

Comment

• Originally posted by Stormking View Post
        It just shows how much worse (in terms of 3D performance) the older codebase was.
        Yes, it is a known issue. However, we have to accept, it is an improvement, finally...

EDIT: I no longer use ATI, so I am not defending ATI, just making a comment.
        Last edited by lenrek; 12 September 2007, 03:16 PM.

Comment

• Michael, any chance you could run the benchmarks from 8.41.6 on 8.41.7 (same hardware, etc.)? To my mind this would kill the "deceptive hype" complaint.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stormking View Post
            No it doesn't. You just got used to it.
            Maybe that's why i'm using 8.37

I heard 8.40 had some issues with googleearth, and that's such a great timekiller.

Well, If video works fine, planetpinguinracer works fine and googleearth works fine, I'm quite happy.

I've read something about muped64 along the forums, long time that i used that emu. Will give that a try to see how 3d works out.

Anyway, this Ati X700 is way much better than my previous laptop that was a SIS760

Comment

• Originally posted by lenrek View Post
              Yes, it is a known issue. However, we have to accept, it is an improvement, finally...
              When everything that used to work with 8.21 will work again, I will accept that as an improvement. The concept seems twisted but it's really all I ask for, at the moment.
              Last edited by Stormking; 12 September 2007, 03:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mile View Post
                did you see my video few post back. Do you have any problems like that? Flickering with konqueror while file browsing?

For me it is same with 8.37 - 8.41
                No, no problems at all, I will post my config tommorow, because I'm not on my laptop right now.
                I had to change the xorg.conf manually, because of the know problem that the driver assigns the DVI-out as the first display.
                After that anything worked fine.

If not tried the 8.41, and I probably will not until X700 is among the supported cards.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpman View Post
                  Michael, any chance you could run the benchmarks from 8.41.6 on 8.41.7 (same hardware, etc.)? To my mind this would kill the "deceptive hype" complaint.
                  I think this is irrelevant. Most of what I read here are not complaining about performance, they are mostly about bugs and installation problems. However, from my experience, such issues are typical for ATI drivers.
                  Last edited by lenrek; 12 September 2007, 03:25 PM.

Comment

• I've been following this driver closely for the past week, as I've got an X1950XTX in a desktop and an X700 Mobility in a laptop, and it'd be nice to have them actually work properly on linux.

I installed the 8.41 driver earlier on the laptop (X700 Mobility), and after a little tinkering to get ubuntu to actually load it, I'm a little disappointed. Although I do fully understand that its the first release of a new generation of drivers (and even carries a label saying "R600 only", and "Not for Mobility"), so I wasn't expecting miracles.

XGL will no longer load for some reason... glxgears and fgl_glxgears work well. WoW through WINE won't load (it loaded but was unplayable with 8.40).

Not going to install it on my X1950 just yet. And going to revert to 8.40 for the X700.

High hopes for 8.42 and 8.43. To the posters going "OMG WHY DOESNT IT WORK FFFS" I'd just say AMD seem to be really trying with this, and development takes time.

Tbh if they can get suspend/resume working along with AIGLX, I'll consider it perfect.

Comment

• well watch the following print screens:

so you guys that can`t google for 15 seconds, please shut up. opengl output, x11 and xv output, all 3 work without any problems.

So does powerplay.

HINT: GOOGLE FOR

export LIBXCB_ALLOW_SLOPPY_LOCK=1

Comment

Working...
                      X