Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft buys Skype for 8.5 BILLION? Really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft buys Skype for 8.5 BILLION? Really?

I don't hate Microsoft because of their shady business practices in the past. I hate Microsoft because they never seem to be able to innovate. Buying Skype for 8.5 BILLION? Jeez. They don't have enough talent to build their own network and client side software? Idiots.

Originally posted by amphigory View Post
    I don't hate Microsoft because of their shady business practices in the past. I hate Microsoft because they never seem to be able to innovate. Buying Skype for 8.5 BILLION? Jeez. They don't have enough talent to build their own network and client side software? Idiots.
    Corporations that big can't really "innovate". They're simply too big. So much people there. "Who" is gonna innovate? Bill Gates himself? They just hire people. Or buy companies. Which is pretty much the same; in both cases, they pay for work.

It's not a family or friends business.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Corporations that big can't really "innovate". They're simply too big. So much people there. "Who" is gonna innovate? Bill Gates himself?
      True. Big corporations usually can't innovate, but a known exception is Apple.

Comment

Oh yeah, they invented the mouse. Oh no wait, they didn't. Ah, they invented GUIs. Oops, not that one either. Ah, their base code. Nope, that was BSD...

Comment

Microsoft actually has a research division with some top-notch people. However, a lot of that work seems to just end up in research papers and/or patent applications rather than in products.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
            Microsoft actually has a research division with some top-notch people. However, a lot of that work seems to just end up in research papers and/or patent applications rather than in products.
            ^ And that is pathetic.

I really wish I liked Microsoft. I try. They have, directly and indirectly, pumped huge amounts of cash into the local economy here in the Seattle area. Unfortunately, they really stink at doing anything outside of the box.

In my opinion, the best thing Microsoft could do would be to shitcan Steve Ballmer and dump him in Lake Washington or the Sound. Get someone that can actually inspire and foster innovation.

Comment

Working...
            X