Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland, X.Org For Ubuntu's Future

Phoronix: Wayland, X.Org For Ubuntu's Future

Wayland was talked about this morning at the summit in Budapest. In particular, the outlook for Wayland in Ubuntu and Linaro. Separately, there's also X.Org notes from today's meetings...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

all this is nice but what i don't see is Canonical (or anyone else for the matter) putting resources in Wayland.

it's not going to write itself and there are very few people hacking on it at the moment (despite the big amount of people flaming/trolling in the mailing list)

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
      it's not going to write itself

Comment

Sucks

So my i8xx hardware is officially stuck on fbdev or svga drivers?

I was under the impression Intel was working on a fix for the instability issues.

Kinda sucks since the laptop in question (Dell 700m, pentium m 1.7GHz, 5 hours battery life) still works really well otherwise.

Before the whole rewrite of Intel's driver (EXA), it was rock solid and stable with Compiz.

Oh well... I guess linux is better for moving foward with X, even if it breaks old stuff.

Comment

So my i8xx hardware is officially stuck on fbdev or svga drivers?
          Your ancient i8xx had barely functional 3D drivers when it was new.... in Windows.

It sucked when it was new and, guess what, it still sucks now.

Before the whole rewrite of Intel's driver (EXA), it was rock solid and stable with Compiz.
          Somehow I sincerely doubt that.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
            Your ancient i8xx had barely functional 3D drivers when it was new.... in Windows.

It sucked when it was new and, guess what, it still sucks now.

Somehow I sincerely doubt that.
            Well I can assure you it ran Compiz fine (60 fps for most effects), Unreal Tournament, Google Earth, and other old school OpenGL programs.

This was back when the 8xx and 9xx line of GPUs were still new and receiving new features in the drivers. The machine is about 7 years old now. There was plenty of time for the driver to mature in Linux.

In Windows it's been so long I have forgotten if I ever ran a 3D app on it.

The driver broke when the EXA rewrite began. KMS was the final nail in the coffin that made it unstable.

Unfortunately, non KMS, non EXA is deprecated now. I would have to use a very old software stack to get stability back.

Here's an old 2007 screenshot from that system:

Comment

ready for 200 million users?

I hope Wayland fixes issues of major concern to average desktop users, like having a ctrl-alt-del interface to bail out of frozen full-screened apps, and of course Ubuntu still isn't shipping any universal program installer/packaging solution which other distros can easily adopt too like Zero Install. Still no installation of userland programs without requiring root/admin access...

There's a lot of other major desktop improvements, but those are some off the top of my head. I really hope development gets geared towards those things if Ubuntu or other Linux distros want to bring in a lot more adoption.

I also hope Unity gets or can be polished, otherwise it should be dumped. As it stands now, and something that I don't see changing, is it takes me SO much longer finding programs in Unity in comparison to Gnome. Gnome: everything easy to get to. Unity: Can't remember the name of that app to type it in. Let me check if it's in my most-used app section...nope, crap, lets see click on the category selector, then click on the thingy to expand the visible app icons...nope not in that category, go back and click on the other category, now click on the expand view thing again, oh there it is..finally...

S-L-O-W.

Seriously, Gnome's App/Places/System menu, and KDE's old menu (not the new slab menu) are both so much faster than the new systems, and both way faster than how Windows does it.

If I know the name of a program I want to run, I can just hit ALT-F2 thxuvrymuch, but taking away the nice quick menu system just made things suck.

P.S. I did try Unity for many hours, too...I gave it a chance. It's not ready IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                Intel's concept soon proved to be a tremendous ''''''''error in design'''''
                You're assuming that the 740 was supposed to be a good graphics chip, rather than an attempt to push the AGP bus into more PCs.

Everyone I knew in the 3D hardware business laughed at Intel when they said they were going to put all their textures in AGP memory, because we knew what a performance hit they'd take. So it's not like this was a secret that they only discovered after making the chip, anyone with half a clue could see it was a braindead design if you wanted good 3D performance.

Did AMD even have AGP at that point? If Intel had a cheap 3D card because it didn't need much memory, and it required AGP so it couldn't be paired with non-Intel CPUs (if that was the case, i don't remember when non-Intel motherboards got AGP) then it could still be a win for the business even if it was lousy for games.

Comment

What kindda studio ?

Hey Kim,
                  What kind of studio you looking at ? I mean you want traditional 2d animation or flash animation studios.

Comment

Originally posted by hechacker1 View Post
                    Oh well... I guess linux is better for moving foward with X, even if it breaks old stuff.
                    I spent a while writing Windows 95/98 video drivers; we had a mix of 32-bit assembler and 16-bit C code in a 16-bit driver being called by 32-bit applications through a 32-bit to 16-bit kludge layer and negotiating with the 32-bit 3D drivers for control of hardware, all for the sake of backwards compatibility. Only the switch to XP finally eliminated that abomination.

So yes, I'm glad that Linux devs are willing to break things if it results in a better end result. Unfortunately of late they often seem to be breaking things that remove useful functionality that we've been used to for years (Unity, Gnome 3, Wayland, etc).

Comment

Working...
                    X