No announcement yet.

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short questions because I want to buy a board of the same series, just the "plain" version with only one pcie x16 slot (either the DS3 or the DS3R):

1) Does IDE on this board work out of the box or are there some problems with it? I would have to use IDE for an optical drive and a hd.

2) What about sensors support? Does lm-sensors support this board already with all sensors or what is the current status?

BTW: I would really welcome a test with a vanilla kernel in those mainboard reviews. I have no idea how many patches and such are applied to the kernels shipped with some distributions and personally I prefer to at least have the option to switch to a vanialla kernel. In such it would be nice to have a test if everything works nicely with vanialla and attaching a config file that does support all the stuff, too.

Comment

jmircon is supported in current vanilla kernels. CONFIG_PATA_JMICRON option.

Comment

Hi,I have this motherboard (GA x38-DQ6) and I have a question about the raid. Does Ubuntu Gutsy support ICH9R chipset? I would like to set raid 5 but I don't know if it's possible in Ubuntu Gutsy. If it's possible, whick program I have to use so as to install ubuntu gutsy in a raid array? Is there some guide?

Thanks in advance!
        Last edited by ]--Freeman--[; 16 January 2008, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Raid 5 should be possible with Kanotix Thorhammer, if you try that be sure to click on the IRC icon and ask for instructions, dmraid installs are possible but for example you can not use gparted to partition it. Also best to use some other tricks like GRUB4DOS when you want to do a dual boot system on raid (and install bootloader into partition). No Ubuntu kernel has ever had the needed dmraid 45 patch and the included dmraid of course would not load the extra module even if present. U is in that way pretty stupid

Comment

Initial build tips

I bought a GA-P35-DS3P for my second build, in no small part because of this
            review (the OSx86 community also loves this board), so this seems a handy
            place to put some initial build gotchas.

[1] Only a PS/2 keyboard can be used to access the BIOS, to turn on USB
            keyboards and mice. Then, a USB keyboard can be used e.g. with the Ubuntu
            Server install disk. Otherwise, one determines that one's USB isn't fried by
            using the Ubuntu Desktop install disk, which defaults to booting to live disk
            if it doesn't hear from you. One may need to keep the PS/2 keyboard handy for
            future BIOS work, as it is picky about USB keyboards even after changing this
            setting.

[2] My Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX 2 x 2 GB memory (2.1v 800 4-4-4-12, but
            800 5-5-5-18 in SPD) failed memtest+ (don't use the copy on a Ubuntu disk, get
            the latest from www.memtest.org) with my f1 BIOS. The latest BIOS is now f2.
            The download is a Windows .exe, so unpacking it gave me my first productive
            use ever of my virtual Windows on my Mac. I couldn't update from a USB flash
            drive, contrary to the documentation. Formatting an internal Sata drive to a
            single FAT32 partition, and putting the unpacked BIOS files on it, did the
            trick nicely and very swiftly. I had far less trouble with my memory in the f2
            BIOS at default settings, 1 error in an hour rather than hundreds. I then
            manually set 2.1V, 4-4-4-12, and as I write I'm an hour into testing with no
            faults.

TIP: When you take your shiny new SATA drive (Raptor, anyone?) out of its OEM
            pouch, DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT COLLECT $200. Immediately attach it to an
            already working machine, format it FAT32, and copy on the updated BIOS files.
            NOW install the drive in your build. Flash the latest BIOS as soon as you can,
            to save hours of your life, and while the mobo is still returnable. It will go
            fine.

(In my case, the memory instability crashed my first install, leaving the hard
            disk in an unsettled state, causing the BIOS to hang on reboots until the
            drive was disconnected. So removing it to give it a clean temporary format
            killed two birds with one stone.)

If this post saved you a few hours of your life, allow me to rant a moment. I
            haven't checked the language rules for this forum, so you'll just have to
            imagine a calm, exceedingly tenacious guy turned so furious spewing
            obscenities that his brains are hemorrhaging out his eyeballs.

What gives with [1] and [2]? Perhaps in Taiwan a Windows-centric attitude
            isn't seen as the equivalent of a whites-only drinking fountain, but this has
            me steamed.

The big picture is what really bothers me here. When a GB of flash memory goes
            on sale for $8, which could hold THREE decent Linux distributions, where does
            this industry get off with 1980's BIOS code that's in the MS-DOS reading
            group?

I mean, there's room for code that reasons [insert Homer code voice:]

"Huh. We've got USB devices disabled, but it's been MINUTES, and Marge, I
            haven't heard a peep out of that PS/2 port. Oh yeah, the hard disk seems
            corrupt, should I just freeze like I'm as stupid as an Adirondack deer? Oh
            yeah, those USB ports keep getting insert events like someone's going around
            trying all of them, thinking he blew the wiring. Should we turn one on as a
            courtesy? Keep moving it, keep him guessing. Oh! Oh! Marge... Ya know that
            stealth OSx86-ready micro-iSight next to the mobo LEDs? The guys got the cover
            off, see that case intrusion sensor, and he's LOOKING at us. Oh Marge,
            jeesh!!! he's got a sledge hammer and he looks mad. He's raising it.. Marge,
            turn on the USB! turn on the USB!"

I expect nothing less than BIOS code like this. Why are we all lemmings that
            accept less?

Comment

Usually you can flash from usb stick pretty easy as well. Just extract the files, you can do that with linux using "unrar x motherboard_bios*exe".

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                Usually you can flash from usb stick pretty easy as well.
                Just extract the files, you can do that with linux using "unrar x
                motherboard_bios*exe".
                Thanks for the Linux extract pointer.

Any idea why I couldn't flash from a USB stick? Is there a BIOS setting?

On the other hand, this BIOS is fussy about USB keyboards, it may be fussy
                about USB sticks. Is _IS_ a great mobo once one gets past all this, I'd
                buy it again.

Given how there are posts all over the web of people who take the warnings
                seriously on not risking a BIOS flash, while they suffer the consequences of
                an old BIOS (are we all afraid to pull those tags off of pillows, too?), and
                how flaky USB sticks can be in the best of times, I stick to my
                recommendation:

A part of the standard build procedure should be to put the latest BIOS on the
                first hard disk before assembling the hard disk into the case.

[My memory went 10 hours with no errors in Memtest+, after manually setting
                +0.3V (from 1.8V to 2.1V) and 4-4-4-12. There was only a single error with the
                F2 BIOS and auto-detect. From my experience I'd say to manually set the memory
                no matter what, and to be sure to run Memtest+ overnight.)
                Last edited by Syzygies; 25 February 2008, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Maybe your usb drive is in super floppy mode, thats not supported, you need partitions on it then it works fine.

Comment

After various issues I swapped out a Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX 4 GB kit for

OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Reaper CL4 4GB Edition

which is working flawlessly at rated 2.1V, 4-4-4-15 settings; I'm in the midst
                    of a multi-day mprime (prime95 for Linux) torture test. I do plan to
                    overclock, but I'll relax the memory as necessary so scientific calculations
                    can go months without errors; this is my need.

In the end, Corsair tech support was great, and their memory was probably
                    fine, but I like the potential for the new memory, so I took an opportunity
                    to swap.

What I uncovered as the probable explanation for my problems is an issue
                    anyone using this board should understand, whether or not they ever plan to
                    get into overclocking: Like it or not, using performance memory with this
                    board requires manually changing BIOS settings as if one is an overclocker.

And here's the rub: One can run afoul of Gigabyte's "helpful" and poorly
                    documented automatic BIOS settings. Specifically, "Performance Enhance"
                    defaults to Turbo, not Standard, going to manual memory timings does not
                    by itself disable this feature, and the shaky English makes it sound like
                    only a yahoo would settle for Standard. In fact, one must explicitly
                    disengage Turbo, according to Gigabyte phone tech support, and this is
                    documented nowhere on Gigabyte's site or in the manual.

Some good explanations of what Turbo is mucking with can be found on these
                    pages; the last article is an awesome read:

There's a theme here, if one reads criticisms of this board. One has to
                    simply know what various settings are before one changes them, e.g. +0.3V
                    is pretty obviously setting the memory voltage to 2.1V if one already knows
                    that the standard is 1.8V. Anyone buying memory should have picked this up,
                    but the list goes on...

In short, if one has any troubles with this board, a proper course for
                    navel-staring is to contemplate each and every BIOS setting in turn. The
                    particular issue to watch out for is automatic performance enhancements that
                    might be guessing wrong or interfering with manual changes you're required
                    or want to make.

This is literally how I resolved my issues. I was trying to relax the
                    memory in any way possible, and downgrading "Performance Enhance" from its
                    Turbo default (GA-EP35-DS3P F2 BIOS) to Standard did the trick. Only then
                    did I research what I had just done. The English suggesting I was settling
                    for performance only a loser would accept didn't stop me, because I was
                    trying to slow things down as a test.

I nevertheless love this motherboard. Ultra Durable speaks for itself, I
                    wanted this grade of parts. (I became disenchanted with making headphone amps
                    after realizing all they'd do for me is make noise, but I remain fussy about
                    parts.) And the BIOS is extremely configurable for experts. My Q6600 at full
                    load draws less power and runs cooler than my previous Q6600 build on idle (!)
                    using an Intel "Bad Axe II" motherboard (there are many factors in this, but
                    this motherboard is the biggest one). The Intel mobo has actually given me
                    zero trouble, but it's unexciting, like an old Chevy.
                    Last edited by Syzygies; 28 February 2008, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Well the Turbo default is not so good for manual OC, but what I dislike more in the BIOS is that it always wants to OC the ram when raising the fsb. Of course it is possible to control that manually too, just the auto mode is only good for high priced OC ram.

Comment

Working...
                      X